Radio Personality Kicked Out of Sammy Sosa Party For Wearing “BrownFace” | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline
Uncategorized

Radio Personality Kicked Out of Sammy Sosa Party For Wearing “BrownFace”

by Robert Littal | Posted on Wednesday, November 18th, 2009

There is a very fine line between being funny and being ignorant. Trust me I tight rope that line every day, but the one thing I remind myself of before I post, tweet or speak anything in public is this:

“What are the long term effects of me saying or writing this?”

I give you the case of Miami radio personality Enrique Santos who thought it would be funny to show up at Sammy Sosa’s birthday party in “brownface”.

The entire story is here: DJ draws ire for Sosa stunt

Now everyone has had their fun with Sammy Sosa. You are an easy target when a couple of months ago you were looking like a “young Michael Jackson” and then you show up at an event looking like “Old Michael Jackson”. Everyone took their shots and moved on.

Mr. Santos though took it to another level. First off this was a private event and secondly right or wrong there is a big difference in public reaction when someone goes from being dark to light to light to dark.

For very good reason, unless you have blinders on you know in our sociery being “light” especially as a person of color is looked upon different than being “dark”. The premise of it is absurd because how dark or light you are shouldn’t matter because we are all the same on the inside but just to have the boldness to walk into a public place and even as a joke trying to pass yourself off as a “black or darker brown” man (Santos is Hispanic) is asinine and stupid.

sammyenrique0222

It hasn’t been that many years since Hollywood was featuring movies in “blackface”. On Halloween there are still people who think it is cool for white people to dress up as “Gangsters” in black face with fake gold chains and teeth.

I am sure Mr. Santos’ intentions were to just be funny and have a good laugh at Sosa’s expense, but the fact of the matter is these types of acts go way beyond Mr. Santos and reach to a “bubbling” race divide that is still very prevalent within our country.

The is a deep rooted stereotype that “lighter” is better in regards to anyone of color and anyone making fun of being “brown or black” even in an innocent way is not funny.

I am always aware when people are laughing at things like this what is the exactly laughing for? Sure some are laughing at the intended “gag”, but trust me when I tell you some are not.

In the end Santos got what he wanted out of this. Some publicity for himself and his radio show, but it is his ignorance of the situation which is disappointing.

Because someone, somewhere is thinking “making fun of a brown man” is ok.

In reality it’s not.

Powered by

1. @HiYelaGurl says:

How can u respect someone who suffers from so much self hatred. Re: Sammy Sosa

2. A.C says:

But we all died laughing watching Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

• That is a solid point AC..Now they spun in a way to show how stupid it was. Once again very fine line

• Aaron says:

Hardest working reporter in show buisness. You have to be to blog at 3:30am. I have no sympathy for Sammy House Negro Sosa. I also have no problem with a hispanic in black hue unless they are trying to tear down my race. Since they all have African blood in them it doesn’t sting like a cowgirl dressed like lil wayne(even though I just belive she is incredilbly ignorant)
        Sammy made himself a reverse minstrel show. So I really don’t care about his feelings.

3. JDee says:

You died laughing, I dies of boredom.

4. JDee says:

Died, damn it not dies. Why the hell would I say dies?

5. Perry Peck says:

If you want to make your friends laugh this holiday season give them a funny apron When they wear it they will think of you and laugh. Check it out at http://www.apronstore.com/funnyaprons.htm

6. MARK says:

I WOULD HAVE MADE FUN OF HIM TO WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS MICHAEL JACKSON ALL RESPECT TO MICHAEL , SAMMY SOSA THINKS IS A WHITE GUY GUESS HE GOT TIRED OF BEING A DUMB IN A CAN WHITE PEOPLE GET MORE RESPECT THEN THOSE SPICKS IN THAT 3RD WORLD COUNTRY LMAO FUCK SAMMY SOSA THATS WHAT I THINK THANK U.

7. Michael says:

Sorry but I have no sympathy for Sammy Sosa. His Black azz bleached his skin because he didnt like being a dark skinned brotha. Fugg him I say!!

8. Learn-History says:

hispanic isn';t a race

9. stepha says:

I can honestly say , i can give a rats ass what color sammy wants to be , lmao as long as he´s happy
    some act like they know the guy, when it comes to skin dispigmentation it´s to relieve yourself of the harsh effects the sun has on u after a certain amount of time , I really didn´t understand that until i myself moved to South America , i lived all my life in Jersey lmao , and to move to a country with miami weather all year round , u do realize ur skin feels thicker more tanned , but it´s not a tan that goes away since there is sun everyday someday´s it´s even worse than the other and that tan just develops more and more . to skin overall skin damage. So i understand the guy for wanting to have skin treatment since his damage wasn´t provoked by months or weeks of sun exposure but years upon years of it. that´s just my point of view