Dwight Howard on How To Prepare For Game 3: “Play Video Games” | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline
Uncategorized

Dwight Howard on How To Prepare For Game 3: “Play Video Games”

by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, May 20th, 2010

I didn’t want to misquote Dwight Howard, so when he appeared on ESPN Fastbreak I made sure to copy the quote exactly.  The ESPN crew asked him what he did after the Game 2 loss to help with preparations for Game 3 and here is what Howard had to say:

“There ain’t nothing I can do about it, Game 2 is over, we can’t replay Game 2. I did what I do everynight…Go home and play video games”

The first part of his quote is accurate, no need to dwell on the past, but the second part of his quote is a bit puzzling.

Everyone deals with stress a little differently.

Some athletes go to the club, some smoke a little of that “Michael Phelps,” some might get their “Tigerstyle” on with Kat Stacks“, and I suppose some even play video games.

The truly great ones though, the ones who want to be known for championships, I doubt would be kicking back playing some Red Dead Redemption after getting beat twice on their home floor.

I am not trying to be hard on Howard, but he can’t be afforded the luxury to just go home and play video games — unless those video games include how to handle the defense the Celtics are throwing at him.  Instead of playing video games maybe he could study some tape to see how the different Boston defenders (Perkins, Wallace, Davis) are playing him, so he can adjust accordingly.

The knock on Howard is that he isn’t a “serial killer,” that he is too nice and too soft.  I don’t think you can change someone’s basketball DNA, so expecting Howard to become Moses Malone is a bit much.

What you want though, is if he is going to be the leader of your franchise, to have a better answer when things are not going well than “I went home and played video games.” I am not saying he should lie, but his urgency seems to be missing.

He isn’t a young player anymore; this is his 6th year in the league, it is time for him to turn the corner.  The main problem I had with the Magic when they replaced Hedo Turkoglu with Vince Carter was that they had a team full of players who I called 3/4 ballers.  Meaning they were great for three quarters, but choked up when it counted the most in the fourth quarter.

When they are blowing out teams by 20 you never noticed, but in tight games that is exactly what happens to them, they get tight.

Rashard Lewis looks like he rather be on a beach counting seashells than in this series.  Vince Carter is on the Mount Rushmore of 3/4 players.  Jameer Nelson is fearless, but limited.  It says a lot about the Magic when JJ Redick is the player I would feel most comfortable with the ball in the final minutes (and even he made a boneheaded mistake in Game 2).

Dwight Howard needs to be the guy when the team is falling apart to pull them together and say we will not lose, but he seems to shy away from those moments and until he embraces them, he will have a lot of time each offseason to play video games.

*Sidenote*

For preparation for this article I watched Royce Reed (Dwight’s Baby Momma) dance:

1. Ken says:

Soft as a pillow he needs to grow up

2. Royce says:

He wanted to play video games instead of have sex with me that is why we broke up. I will talk about it on next episode of basketball wives

3. Lebron's Elbow says:

Maybe there is something wrong with his shoulder?

4. Kobe's Jaw says:

He was probably playing a powerpuffs girl video game

5. Matt Barnes says:

Just don't mention how I cheat on Gloria ok Rob?

6. Samuel says:

You are forever bashing Dwight Howard, if that is how he wants to handle losing that is his business. Like you said it is better than drinking, gambling and sexing litle girls like LT. BACK OFF!!!!!!!

7. That is high praise for someone working in a medium which won’t reach the status of art within any of our lifetimes.I think is interesting that the BAFTAs are now recognizing games and game development, and has given 3 men a place of honor as Academy Fellows.

8. Tichondrius says:

it’s been raining all day today and i have nothing to do. Hence why i am on your blog right now.

9. Hey good blog thinking about getting my started as i just lost my job last month:(…..

10. Hello, You clearly are someone who recognizes the energy of concentrate and the way to create ambitions that you just achieve stage by move.Bravo for you.In my own life We have only witnessed results when I have stored my concentrate and built the techniques essential to attain my ambitions – extremely minor transpires by alter alone. That is some thing I like to often share with my readers.Really, I am delighted to examine about other peoples results as a result of laser like target and you’ve got it.Continued success to you,David

11. Mario Butt says:

I’ve been told by a friend that Clickbank make it really hard to receives a commission by requiring you to resell dozens of different things through a range of bank cards and also Paypal. I would really like to work with Clickbank but I’m worried about this. Is it the case?

12. Informative post, this is. It is definitely great to come across a article that is helpful.

13. Isim Mismi says:

My favorite things to do is play games

14. escorts in vicoria says:

Really great information can be found on web site.

15. no one people in this world you will find that no love game. video game is the best way to refresh mind from work stress.

16. Deon Smithen says:

Hi are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

17. I absolutely love your blog and find your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Thanks!

18. I appear to get Rosacea outbreaks from the wind. Does everybody else have this?