Dan Gilbert Calls LeBron James Benedict Arnold Via Fathead Pricing of $17.41 | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Dan Gilbert Calls LeBron James Benedict Arnold Via Fathead Pricing of $17.41

by BSO Staff | Posted on Friday, July 9th, 2010

Looks like Dan Gilbert isn’t done with LeBron James.  This time the shots come in the form of drastically reduced prices on LeBron James Fatheads.  Yes, Fatheads, the humongous stickers for kids and uber-fans.  Oh, you didn’t know that Gilbert owned Fathead, LLC?  He and Bobby Bonilla both listened to the planner at Wu Tang Financial, and Gilbert has a bit of diversity in his assets.  At any rate, with prices dropping from the $50-$100 price range to the low, low price of $17.41, it just seems like they’d like to get rid of all three styles of James Fatheads.  Here’s why history buffs are already laughing.

This man was born on January 14, 1741, and counts himself as the most famous traitor in American history.  His name: Benedict Arnold.

I can’t even lie, this one was pretty hilarious.  Dan Gilbert is about a day away from throwing LeBron’s old uniforms in the KNG OF AK Benz, dousing them with lighter fluid, and watching them burn as he listens to Mary J. Blige.  Make no mistake; Dan Gilbert is hurting.  This move has stung his pride as a businessman and tainted his rep.  And when you make a living off closing deals and being in control, you’re going to lash out and protect your reputation and your livelihood, fiercely.  Usually, most cats would focus that energy into the next big venture/signing, but Gilbert has instead resorted to trying to tarnish LeBron James’ name … and LeBron didn’t need any help.

That said, I’m enjoying the comedy of the situation.  Gilbert may be “winning” with snide jokes like these, but he may be doing more harm to his reputation than good; you think James played you, imagine how it’s gonna feel when you’re unable to land top free agents down the line due to their inability to trust you.

LeBron walked away in free agency, albeit not in the most professional of manners, as was his right.  Gilbert aired dirty laundry and resorted to name calling.  Who’s the Benedict Arnold again?

1. Ron M. says:

yeah, man, we've seen this sort of thing before (Reinsdorf and MJ, Kenny Williams and the Big Hurt, the Lakers and Shaq) and it just makes organizations look petty. Sure, the White Sox and Lakers pulled through, but the former was never much loved (and made nice and brought Frank back into the fold) and the latter retained a star to help see them through (although they almost permanently burned their bridges when they talked bad about Kobe and his expenses during the Colorado case). You just gotta move on. Actions speak louder than words. LeBron let his actions speak volumes. Gilbert should have been content to do the same and started building his winner.

2. He looks bad right now….but really he's not a bad guy and if someone looks at the big picture, they'll see he's really loyal. The anger could've been avoided by James if he would've just told the man…either right after the season ended or right before he made the announcement. Jerry Reinsdorf is an a**hole through and through, and he still manages to land big players…

• Kirk Belgrave says:

When teams decide to cut players, do they even give the slightest hint to them what their plans are? Oh, but because Lebron is a superstar, he's OBLIGATED to tell a team when he's leaving? You can't have it both ways. Both parties know that "its a business" and as long as there aren't any rules either is breaking, this "loyalty rule" crap that everyone is throwing around will always be broken. Teams are disloyal to players and vice versa. You have to point fingers at the teams just as much as the players if that's your argument. . Besides, Gilbert realizes that he lost MILLIONS of dollars overnight, and now he has resorted to, well, insanity.

• Kirk Belgrave says:

Whats worse is NOBODY is gonna want to come to Cleveland after this unsportsmanship display of professionalism. Sure Lebron didnt do it "the right way" but two wrongs certainly doesn't make it right, especially since Dan Gilbert is only hurting his team and his wallet even more by being a public asshole. Lebron's gonna walk away virtually 'unaffected' by his attempts (relatively), and free agents are gonna sulk at the possibilty of going to Cleveland, the city of losers. TL;DR: Gilbert just dug his team in a bigger hole.

• Damon says:

People will go anywhere if they get the right contract. People work for assholes everyday. When I look for work, I don't give a damn about if I like the employer, I just want my check to be correct and on time.

• Well Gilbert is the EMPLOYER and James is the EMPLOYEE…It has always been professional courtesy to let your employer know 2 weeks before you quit….but when you get fired…they don't let you know…so let's not act like the concept of letting your employer know beforehand is a new concept. He's a grown man, he handled like he saw fit…that doesn't mean it was in good taste on LBJ's end.

3. Aided me a lot, just what I was searching for : D.

4. Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method youll be able to remove me from that service? Thanks!

5. Lidia Nerren says:

Hi do you mind giving which weblog platform you’re employing? I’m planning to get started my own website soon although I’m having a tough time selecting amongst BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The explanation I question is because your design feels different then a lot of blogs along with I’m looking for some thing completely unique. G.S Apologies for being off-topic however i had to consult!

6. Leland says:

Already been visiting this blog for some time now.

7. strongzz Generally I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.