Mugshot: JaMarcus Russell Arrested In Mobile For Controlled Substance Codeine Syrup | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline
Uncategorized

by Robert Littal | Posted on Monday, July 5th, 2010

First reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, JaMarcus Russell was arrested for possession of a controlled substance.  It doesn’t appear he will be able to shrug his way out of this.  Here are the details:

Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell was arrested today for possession of a controlled substance, according to the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office.

The substance was codeine syrup, spokeswoman Lori Myles said.

Myles said Russell was arrested at his home early this afternoon during an undercover investigation. He was booked into Mobile Metro Jail at 4:22 p.m. Russell was released minutes later after making $2,500 bail, according to online records.

This possibly could be the nail in the coffin for Russell in regard to his NFL career.

For those not familiar, “Sippin on Sizzurp” was something that became popular in the southern regions of the country.

Made popular by the late DJ Screw and by legendary rap ground Three 6 Mafia, in essence it is a recreational drug made by mixing medicated cough syrup containing codeine with soda.

It is now seen as a “Controlled Substance” similar to marijuana.  The difference being, no one has ever overdosed to my knowledge from weed, whereas you can from Sizzurp.  Pimp C from UGK is a perfect example of someone who OD’ed from too much Sizzurp.  So in that regard, it can be a very dangerous concoction if you become addicted.

The fact that Russell was caught in an “undercover operation” means that whatever he was doing, he had been doing for a while.  This wasn’t a random traffic stop where he was caught with something under the seat.  This was an investigation.

I am all for giving second chances, but you can’t help anyone who doesn’t want to be helped, and JaMarcus just doesn’t seem to get it.

In my opinion, he is a lost cause.

*UPDATE*

According to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, there have been rumors for a while about Russell and the “Purple Drank.” My sources say that it goes all the way back to his LSU days … and he wasn’t the only one the team who might have been using.  Here is what McDonald had to say via PFT.com:

McDonald points out via Twitter, “Wish I had a dollar for every time I got an e-mail or a tip about Russell and prescription cough syrup.”

This is just my opinion from being in the music industry for a while and hanging around guys who abused “Syrup” regularly.  It isn’t something you just decide to do one day.  It is more of a down south culture, which leads me to believe that Russell could have been doing this for a while.

1. missy says:

another fool bites the dust

2. JuCoop says:

my explain why he never was shyt!!!!

3. JuCoop says:

Might explain why he never was shyt!!!

4. HueyJewy says:

Ryan Leaf, you may not be the biggest bust ever.

5. Can we officially call Jamarcus a bust….can he wear the label now??

6. ktmoze says:

JaMarcus Russell may have been busted for Purple Drank and distribution. http://bit.ly/dxr3G8

7. ktmoze says:

Read more about the "Purple Drank" mixture Russell may have been drinking. http://bit.ly/cG1QuR

8. Lorenzo says:

Whoever said that pimp c died from syrup is an idiot. He died from complications due to his sleep apnea condition. He had syrup in his system, but nowhere close to a lethal amount. I'd get my facts straight before i ran my mouth about one of the best rappers. Here in the south, a lot of us sip syrup on a regular basis, so its not surprising that Jamarcus got caught in Mobile.

• LadyDG713 says:

very smart comment. im from houston and the way the ,media ect. talk about Screw, Pimp C, n promethazine w codiene it is like they dont have a freakin clue. we been sippin not trippin b4 the grey tapes. southside 4 life LadyDG713

9. Lorenzo=Brain dead says:

Lorenzo, ur a fu**ing moron.

10. I am just commenting to make you be aware of what a cool encounter my friend’s girl gained viewing your web site. She came to find a lot of issues, with the inclusion of what it is like to have a great giving spirit to get other folks really easily completely grasp some complicated matters. You really surpassed her desires. Many thanks for displaying the interesting, dependable, informative and also fun tips about your topic to Emily.

11. Oggugghynt says:

I recently located your site although I had been the truth is running a browse Search engines, searching for such like but not rather the same… Nonetheless I’m just a lot more than able to read it, when you seem to have a fun understanding. I’d claim it is about discussion… yet Now i am frightened never to turn you into my own adversary, haya, ha, haya… At any rate, if you wish to speak in depth about this, you need to be affected by the review and Cover aim to signed up in order that I will be informed and come back again for additional…