Matt Barnes on Domestic Violence Charge: “I am the Victim”..Is He Right? | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Matt Barnes on Domestic Violence Charge: “I am the Victim”..Is He Right?

by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, September 9th, 2010

Here is the quote from Matt Barnes:

“U know any domestic violence situation 9 outa 10 times the man gets arrested. That’s the case here I was the victim but still got arrested. No matter what I say people are gonna think what they want…”

Watch the video here:

At what point is it ok for a man to defend himself physically against a woman?

My rule has always been if your life or the life of someone else is in danger you have to defend yourself.  If the woman has a weapon (and I am not talking about a stiletto unless it is metal tip) you have to do something, you can’t let yourself just get stabbed.

If the woman weighs 300 pounds, you weigh 150 and she is punching you in the jaw, you have to defend yourself.

But if you are a 6’7″ guard in the NBA or any man who knows that your woman can not do any real physical harm to you when she is slapping and throwing stuff at you, I have a piece of advice:

WALK AWAY

I agree with Barnes that in a lot of situations when there is “mutual violence” the man will get arrested, but that doesn’t mean the man is right in putting his hands on the woman.

If she intiated the violence I understand how Barnes could feel like a “victim” and there are many men who feel like as soon as anyone lay their hands on them (man, woman, Avatar) that are allowed to “fight back”.

That is up for debate, but just be aware in the eyes of the law if she throws a punch and the man throws a punch in return, it will be your mugshot in the papers not hers the majority of the time.  It might not be fair, but as we should know by now the law isn’t always fair (FREE PLAX!!!!!).

Violence against a woman or man should be avoided at all costs.  When Barnes saw the situation getting out of control he should have left the residence and that would have been the end of it.

By getting agressive and ripping the phone off the wall, he gave the police all the probable cause they needed to arrest him.

So while he is claiming he is a victim I have three words for him.

SMARTEN UP NAS

1. simplykateasa says:

Maybe his "I am the victim" story would be more believable had it not been for the struggle overheard when she was trying to call the police.

However, some women (myself included) take advantage of the fact that men aren't supposed to hit us. We hit them, throw things, etc., etc., and while one man may walk away, another may fight back, and that's something we need to be more aware of. (Not saying its the woman's fault.)

• Robert Littal says:

That is the fine line. In theory if anyone hits you, you should be able to hit them back, but every man knows if a 120 pound woman slaps him and he slaps her back if she cries and call police it is likely he is going to jail.

2. Damon says:

First of all, I don't care if I have the advantage in every single facet of the fight, I'm not letting someone hit me or smack me up just cause I'm bigger than them. And I'm not waiting to have my life in danger to defend myself. I will try to walk away, but if while I'm trying to walk away she's continuously hitting and attacking me, I will get her off me one way or another.

There are too many women who just start stuff cause they know they can. Not all, but enough that it's becoming a problem. My moms always taught me, don't let anybody whip on me, woman or not. I will never just start attacking women, men, kids, animals, anybody, but I will defend myself.

Not saying Barnes isn't guilty, cause I don't know the whole story. In this world where guilty people plead innocent and innocent people plead guilty, who knows, but the people involved.

• Robert Littal says:

That is find as long as you know when the cops come you are the one going to jail. Not saying it is fair, but that is how it works.

3. pops3284 says:

not saying that barnes is or isnt guilty, but a man can get escorted from the home if not arrested if the woman says she felt threatned, not that she was assualted, but she FELT THREATENED even if dude walked away from the altercation.

• Robert Littal says:

True, but it is highly unlikely if there are no marks and he doesn't rip off the phone they arrest him. They might question him, but if he just would have left without throwing any blows he would have been better off.

4. Kimberly says:

Maybe she started it first and got her licks in and he responded with this licks.

5. Cadillac Smooth says:

I think anytime you involve yuorself with a publicity seeker… Basketball Wives, Real Housewives or any reality show personality you're asking for LIKE, CAMERA, ACTION. Oh and you can't forget DRAMA. Plus you're coming to the hottest ticket on the planet Hollowood, playing for the Los Angeles lakers. Matt, I know how you feeling right now and I know you probably don't want to hear this but it's time to trade her in. I suggest a celebrity in her own right, with her own funds who isn't trying to gain status at your expense. there's some nice one's out there right now that's available too. Chris Milian,….Toni Braxton,…..Julissa Bermundez….Let that one go……QUICK!

6. Robert Littal says:

She has his kids she is always going to be around..

7. I Am Your People says:

Gloria looks like she's about 5'3", maybe 120. Even if she went straight Mike Tyson on him, I doubt she could cause much damage. I'm not saying he's guilty either – after Royce called the cops on Dwight Howard for picking up his son from daycare (girl, what?) these B-Ball Wives could be in a drama hunt.

8. newone says:

Didn't dude just assault some one at a game or something like that:

Shows pattern (if so). And personally I don't believe in Women striking Men First.

By the way Robert Love your responses ……..Especially to person thinking he can just DISMISS her from his life.