John Madden On Mike Singletary Yelling: “That’s Not Coaching” | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

John Madden On Mike Singletary Yelling: “That’s Not Coaching”

by Robert Littal | Posted on Tuesday, October 12th, 2010

John Madden found time out from reading Brett Favre’s text messages to speak on Mike Singletary coaching style.

Here is what he had to say:

“That’s really not part of coaching, that’s sometimes I worry about that. I see youth football and I see high school football and coaches yelling at players and I cringe when I see it. I think people get the picture that’s what coaching is and believe me, that’s not what coaching is.”

“You have to coach, you have to teach, you have to strategize, you have to encourage,” Madden said.  “That’s what coaching is, not the opposite.”

Mike Singletary is like the rapper Plies.

Plies found a niche, raps of gangster tales, does the mini Tupac thing and it has been very successful for him.

The reality is Plies is college educated and from the suburbs.

Not to knock on him—he is playing to his audience while masking the truth.

Mike Singletary does a lot of colorful talking, is a great soundbite and that episode with Alex Smith on the sidelines was straight out of Melrose Place (Amanda and Sidney would be proud).

But all it does is mask the fact that at his core, Singletary is more of a motivational speaker than a head coach.

That is fine if it works, you have top flight assistant coaches to assist you in your lack of Xs and Os skills, but being 0-5 means that it isn’t working.

Because the 49ers are in the NFC West, he might able to hide behind some gold teeth and Ne-Yo choruses, but if he doesn’t go platinum when the year is out, don’t be shocked if he is dropped from the label.

1. Fred says:

O get off it! ! ! Singeltary is in the learning stages of being an amazing coach. I tell you that I sure ran harder when I had a coach on my back "yelling" then just talking to me. Seriously, Mike is a great coach and give it one more year and you wait and see.

2. Eric says:

If you are cant win in the West you got to Go! John Madden is right!

3. jerryjust says:

This guy's are supposed to be PRO'S and play like PRO'S, If it was me I would have pulled him,and said nothing to him on the field and wait till after the game. He never coached before give him a chance….

• Anthony says:

Yeah, well then, let him learn somewhere else, with another team, and after he proves himself, he can come and coach my team! Sing is just plain aweful!

4. paul poorbaugh says:

you can't live on what you did as a football player as good as he was. mike singeltary

5. Abdul says:

I think Madden needs to keep his mouth shut here. This is a man that was a color commentator on NFL games since I was a little boy. How many games was he in the booth for when Parcells chewed out players on the sidelines? How many games was he in the booth for when Mike Ditka chewed players out on the sidelines? I think it is a little hypocritical for Madden to come out and say this about Singletary when he was sitting front row for many years watching a Bill Parcells verbally humiliate players and said nothing. Even SI.com's Don Banks nodded in agreement with Madden during his column detailing his most recent NFL power rankings. I just wonder if it is more of a feeling of discomfort watching a Black authority figure chew out a white player.

6. Bj Howell says:

When is it that you can't get past givin somebody a break: Mike Singletary has the makings of bein a good coach. All he needs is just a little time. They said Sean Payton couldn't coach either and look what he's done. I refuse to believe that Mike Singletary can't make it. He may not have commetary skills but I'll be damned if he doesn't know the game.

7. Lance Williams says:

Do you really think Singletary doesn't understand X's and O's? Really. Come on.

• Robert Littal says:

I am not the only one. Just google it is a widely known fact that he doesn't among NFL execs, coaches and players. I don't say anything without tons of research and I said this the day he was hired.

8. DodgersKings323 says:

He has no QB so it’s too early to judge the guy, in the NFL you need a few key positions and you will be competitive regardless of everything else, look at Childress he’s terrible and should have been the Super Bowl just by kissing Favre’s rear.

9. JharyFV says:

It's been three years! When is too early long enough? Mike might be a fine linebacking/position coach, but as a head coach he's in over his head. You don't learn what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL while in the position, you learn while being a co-ordinator. Mike wasn't even ever that. Mike Tomlin, Todd Haley, these guys have got it from the day they became head coach for their teams. Mike, Josh McDaniels, Brad Childress, don't have it, very much doubt they ever will.

Robert has it right.