NFL Fined James Harrison 75k, But Selling Pic of “Illegal Hit” for $249? | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

NFL Fined James Harrison 75k, But Selling Pic of “Illegal Hit” for $249?

by Robert Littal | Posted on Wednesday, October 20th, 2010

I think the word I am looking for is:

HYPOCRITE

You simply cannot do this if you are the NFL.  You can’t say that you care about your players, you want to crack down or helmet to helmet hits, that you are going eject, fine and suspend players for those hits and at the same time profit from them.

Who do the NFL think they are?

Nucky Thompson? (Boardwalk Empire reference)

It is hard for me to take the NFL stance of protection seriously when they don’t seem to care about  if they are lining their pockets from it.

If I am James Harrison, I am appalled.  Not necessarily because of the fine, but because I am being called out as being a dirty player while my employer is profiting from my “dirty play”.

You can’t on one hand say you are cracking down and on the other hand glorify the actions.

When someone buys this picture of Harrison knocking out Mohamed Massaquoi and their 13 year old sees it hanging on the wall you know what they are going to think?

“Cool”

So much for sending a positive message to the youth.

*UPDATE*

The NFL said it was a mistake (right……….) and has taken down the pic from the site.

1. Shades says:

This definitely bad judgement by the NFL. I agree they need to reign in the helmet to helmet hits but when they do happen you don't put it up for sale. As the author of the article penned it., Hypocrites.

2. strokedown says:

its all about having power – "you play for me i pay you lots of money, but own you and can punish you. And, even then, I make more money off of you.." Something just isn't right here.. this is where capitalism turns to crap…

3. johnny says:

whatever!! quit freaking crying!! It was a flat out cheap shot! (both hits actually)… Harrison is flat out dirty! Steelers fans are all little cry babies… If it was Big Ben that took that hit or Hines Ward, they would be crying even harder!! PUCK FITTSBURGH!! They'll get there's…. Karma never forgets!

• andy says:

the hits were not cheap shots. Might i add they were both legal hits reguarless of what the NFL says.

• PA2AK says:

Both legal…and Ben and Hines get hit hard all the time…they are just better players and are able to avoid the devastating ones. Still they stand to get caught with on…they play football. Harrison is a great play…not dirty. You sound like the only one crying. The hit on Heap was cheap and dirty. The others….more a function of terrible qb's throwing bad passes and serving their wr's on a platter.

4. hpb says:

What do you expect from an outfit whose "ref expert," ex-Vice President of Officiating, Mike Pereira, spouts nonsense like this, in reference to last Sunday's business as usual..

"Some of them were legal, and some were unavoidable. But, plain and simple, they are cheap shots,"

Huh? What does that even mean?
    It's ludicrous. If they're "unavoidable" then how are they cheap?
    That's nonsense.

Expert at double talk, eh?
    I wonder if he's running for office.

5. 4Black1Gold2 says:

I wonder what ever happened to the days when it was ok to mash a man into the dirt with leather helmets and shoulder pads as thin as cardboard. They didnt cry about it then! is was an HONOR to have football injuries. Broken bones and heavy hits was football! None of this he hits too hard and im not paid enough for this BS… The NFL is completely WRONG for making a profit off of something they said was so horid! Doesnt make any sense. To call it a "mistake", right! They meant to do it, and now that everyone is speaking up about it, its a mistake. SMDH @ the NFL!

6. WowYouSerious says:

Hey Rob, I tried to replicate the search and could not find the photo on their website.

Did they delete the picture after people started noticing the hypocrisy? I'm interested.

Post the link to this picture if its still available.

7. Larry says:

Perhaps the NFL will be selling Brett Favre's infamous pictures directed to Jenn Sterger for profit !

8. WowYouSerious says:

This was no mistake. They got negative media from it and had to act on it. The NFL are seriously hypocrites.

9. skeptical at best says:

$249 seems a little steep seeing as how they already made $75,000 from it.

10. Excellent write-up. I personally look forward to reading more by you.