Video: HS Basketball Coach Marlon Dorsey Caught Whipping Players With Belt | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Video: HS Basketball Coach Marlon Dorsey Caught Whipping Players With Belt

by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, November 11th, 2010

What in the blue hell is going on here?

I went to Catholic elementary school and the nuns were real serious about beating you down with eight rulers taped together (yes I am scarred), but I tell you right now if any of my High School coaches pulled out a belt on me I would be throwing blows.

I know the popular phrase is “cracking the whip” but it isn’t to be taken literally.

Here are the details:

A six-second mobile phone video shows one of the whippings at Murrah High School in Jackson, Mississippi .The man in the video is head basketball coach Marlon Dorsey. Mr Dorsey allegedly whipped players on the buttocks with a 2-4kg belt during practice for failing to run plays correctly. He also allegedly told them if they did not accept the punishment they would be dismissed from the team, and called them names like “wimp” and “sissy”.

“I was in total shock and awe. I couldn’t believe it,” said Gary Love, a parent of a Murrah High Sophomore basketball player.

Love and Hubbard said they witnessed Coach Dorsey whip the boys three or more times each using a weightlifting built. A weightlifting belt is at least three times thicker than an average belt.

Why am I not surprised this was in Mississippi.

Do you know how thick a “weight lifting belt” is? Next time you go to the gym ask them to show you one. Dorsey doesn’t just need to be fired, he needs to be in jail.

This is assault with a deadly weapon. If I was one of the fathers I would see if Dorsey would want to take on someone his own size.

Sickening display and I hope he is behind bars soon.

1. Darriel P. says:

Now, looks like a black coach whipping a black basketball player. If that had been a white coach whipping a black basketball player, he would not have not only been fired, but run out of the state, maybe sent to jail. Where is the equality that has been demanded by all races. This would definitely be reverse discrimination and needs to be ended, by all!

2. Chris S. Palmer says:

Perhaps this coach is a member of a black fraternity. The position the kid is standing in looks fairly similar to some things I have witnessed in the underground world of "Fraternity Pledging".Abhorrent nonetheless. He should be dismissed, and prosecuted immediately.

3. skeptical at best says:

Read the article on ESPN.com. I thought the facts presented in this article were crazy. No, it gets worse. And the comments were outrageous. I felt like I was in the twilight zone….or a 1950s time warp.

4. WowYouSerious says:

My problem with is the parents. You witnessed him beating your child and did what, stood there and covered your mouth? How the hell does it get to the point where you watch the coach grab a weight-lifting belt, ask your child to bend over, and proceed to whip him several times on the butt. At what point did the parents step in and say "Um, WTF do you think you're doing?"

TL;DR – Dummies.

• Murrah High Student says:

thats because it wasnt serious. same as getting a beating from your parents he only gave 3-5 hits. ive heard that from a basketball player myself. i go there.

• WowYouSerious says:

Riiiiiiight…. So how do you explain this quote right here:

It wasn't serious, until it became public knowledge. Then it became a lawsuit? Interesting.

5. Damien says:

yeah I read those comments on ESPN.com also & wuz shocked. Those adults saying how their coaches hit them all the time when they were younger or made them hit each other like this until he wuz satified that they were hitting each other hard enough. Those adults need 2 pull their heads out of the sand & smell reality cuz the only type of coaches that hit boys like that & like this stupid Marlon Dorsey guy R the pedophiles.
    They don't coach boys 4 the game, they coach 2 B near little boys & 4 their own sexual pleasure.

• Damien says:

The cops in this town need 2 search the ceilings in the boys' & girls' gym locker rooms 4 any hidden cameras & they need 2 search Marlon's home cuz there's no doubt he's a violent, sadistic child molesting pervert. If he's doing this 2 teenage boys in a public school, then WTH do u think he's doing 2 younger boys behind closed doors in his home. This guy needs life in prison cuz predators can't B fixed & he's too violent 2 B walking free. Parents need 2 realize that its not normal 4 a coach 2 his players like that. Ur kids R the only thing standing between u & an old folks home. If u don't keep these predators away from them & they end up committing suicide or hate u 4 not helping them & stopping it, well, then…off 2 the old folks home u go.

6. b schroll says:

black on black, cmon regular fist fights on the weekend are worse than this