Nick Van Exel’s Son Nickey Confesses to the Murder of Bradley Bassey Eyo | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Nick Van Exel’s Son Nickey Confesses to the Murder of Bradley Bassey Eyo

by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, December 30th, 2010

Nick Van Exel had a tumultuous NBA career with several NBA teams, most notably the Lakers and Mavericks.

‘Nick the Quick’ was known as an explosive scorer, but also someone with a bad temper. There was never a dull moment with Van Exel— but while he had his run ins on the court, nothing compares to his son confessing to murder.

Nickey Van Exel, son of former Dallas Mavericks player Nick Van Exel, was arrested Wednesday night in connection with a recent murder.

Bradley Bassey Eyo was found shot to death near Lake Ray Hubbard the day after Christmas. Investigators determined he was murdered at a Garland home in the 6900 block of George Brown Drive and his body later dumped at the lake, less than a mile away.

Police said 20-year-old Nickey Van Exel turned himself in Wednesday and confessed to the crime. He’s a neighbor of the victim.

Nickey Van Exel has a million dollar bail set on him. No one knows what the motive was for the crime.

You can only imagine how Nick Van Exel feels about the situation. Hearing your son murdered someone in cold blood the day after Christmas is not the way you want to start 2011.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Eyo family.

*Update*

Here are a few more details:

Bradley’s father said police told him Nickey claimed it was an accident.

“They were playing with a shotgun, and when it went off on Bradley, he didn’t know what to do, took his body and dumped on the street,” the elder Eyo said.

But Dallas police investigators offer a different scenario.

“If a person is making the assertion this was an accident, you place the body in a vehicle and moved it to a second location, that in itself — coupled with the fact that property is missing — makes this a capital murder,” said Deputy Chief Craig Miller.

1. Cassie Harris says:

If you don't know the MOTIVE….then how can you say his son murdered SOMEONE IN COLD BLOOD! The statement is UNFAIR as you DO NOT know WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!

2. Jamal Robinson says:

What exactly does Nick Van Exel's technical fouls as a professional basketball player have to do with his son committing a crime?

Did the technical fouls make him a bad father?

What was the point of bringing Nick Van Exel's history of not liking calls against him into a story about his son murdering someone? Has Nick murdered a referee we don't know about? Was Rasheed Wallace involved?

You should have just copy and pasted the story instead of adding a slant that is completely bush league.

• If he wasn't Nick Van Exel son it wouldn't be a story. I mean that is pretty clear

• Snowflake says:

I agree with you 100% Nick Van Excels professional career as a ball player has nothing to do with the crime that was committed by his son. We have a situation that will for ever change the lives of two families. Nick's current or previous occupation has nothing to do with this situation.

This a very sad and tragic event for both families. Now more than ever they have to believe and trust their faith in GOD. Both families have a very tough road to travel. They will have to travel this journey by FAITH and not by sight.

People should refrain from casting judgement we do not have all the facts about the case, other than Nickey admits to being the repsonsible party for the death of Bradley.

3. mike schmidt says:

tnb

4. Amber d. says:

I went to school with nick van exel the third and he confessed it over facebook then turned himself in bradley was a god friend of mine

5. Briana Jones says:

It is not about him being Nick Van Excel's son. Of course its going to get more media attention than the average murder due to his dad's profession. It's about Bradley being murdered and being left for dead in a lake where Nick Van Excel III dumped his body. However, it was reported that they were playing with a shot gun and it accidently fired and shot Bradley. He later confessed that it was an accident and he panicked and dumped his body in a nearby lake. In my opinion that was not an accident but that was he stated. In reality both families need to be lifted up in prayer right now. They both are facing hard times and lets remember that GOD is the only person that can judge us. I attend Texas Southern University where Bradley was a student and the entire student body will miss his presence.

6. shia says:

Why say he was murdered in cold blood but you dont know the motive? I went to school with Bradley and Nick grew up with my family and they were like brothers they were best freinds and were always together, I loved them both and I dont beleive Nick would have ever killed him on purpose, yes a made a huge mistake with the way he handled and it was in fact selfish but who are we to judge? My heart and prayers go out to both families.

• Mesha says:

I also went to school with BOTH of them and i know that they were like brothers which at first had me wondering why or how Nick could do something like this…But my thing is this maybe just maybe the shooting was an accident but as the police said the fact that he MOVED the body is ridiculous…I understand that he was maybe scared at what may happen to him but after doing that he was around Bradley's family praying and saying he was going to "help" them find the person who did this?? that's just ridiculous. And this is nothing i HEARD this is what i KNOW

7. Cold blooded is dumping your so called friend in the river.

Sorry that doesn't seem like something a friend would do.

8. C.j. White says:

It's has been alot of rumors about my brother(we got tha same momma) that I don't approve of. If any of ya'll knew my bro, you wouldnt even second guess that what occured was an accident. I am deeply saddened that he took the life of someone who was like a brother(Bradley Eyo) to me. My prayers and wishes go out to the Eyo's (which is like our second family). We have known them for many years. My family and their family has enjoyed many memories, funny moments, dinners, and fun. All of Bradley's siblings are like brothers and sisters to me and my siblings. What outsiders don't get is that we truly couldn't haven't been any closer if we had the same blood. When others saw Nick, they usually saw him with Bradler or Koe. It has been like that since 1999.

For anyone to assume,(good or bad options) wait until the trial. The truth will come out. Please do me a favor and hold all opinions until the trial ends. God knows what happened, with that being said, he shows his people the truth.

I'm not trying to say Nick did no wrong (I agree that moving has body was a bad decision) but think of it in my brother's mindset.

You just killed your bestfriend (which is more like a brother) by accident and you don't know what to do. You try to call members of your family seeking advice and no one answers. You are by yourself now and it is an hour after christmas. If you call the police you are going to be put into custody immediately. You won't have time to speak with your lawyer or family members except by phone. All the police will see is one dead body and only one person is alive in the house. You claim it was an accident.You don't believe they would buy that. Out of panick and frustration you move the body to a close location, placing his body in open view (not trying to hide him).

Hold on…. If that was an hour or two after Christmas wouldn't you suspect people to be on the roads. Also, you would suspect police were out looking for people who had been drinking on Christmas.

Knowing all this information, if he was as coldblooded as the media portrays, Why would he turn himself in? The police didnt have any suspects in the case. They were just as confused as others. They had no leads

9. ELove says:

A BEST Friend would NEVER Shoot YOU so He wasn’t a BEST FRIEND to Bradley (STOP That INSANE MADNESS Now…)

ANYBODY who would Shot somebody, Move & Dump the body on the STREET and then eventually turn himself in JUST TO STILL CLAIM it was An ACCIDENT is a PIECE-OF-SHYT Individual (Real…)

And I Don’t give TWO SHYTS how anybody feels about what I said INCLUDING Nick Van Exel !!!

10. Lo says:

Nickey Van Exel is a spoiled, rich, psychopath who should never see the light of day. He is among like-minded “friends” NOW! Stop the insanity of defending a killer. He is no friend and was never a friend to the victim! Friends don’t kill you and dump your body. Love doesn’t look like that!