Bears Fans Already Burning Jay Cutler’s Jersey | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Bears Fans Already Burning Jay Cutler’s Jersey

by Robert Littal | Posted on Sunday, January 23rd, 2011

I think Jay Cutler quit.

I think Jay Cutler moped.

I don’t think Cutler is a leader.

With all that being said burning his jersey is crazy. Regardless if you like him or not he did lead the Bears to the NFC Championship game and no one thought that was possible at the beginning of the year. He is the quarterback for the Bears long term.

Today was not a good look for him, but keep it in perspective, real fans can be critical without being crazy.

Lovie Smith defended his quarterback:

Smith said Cutler was disappointed he could not continue.

“He was hurt, and he couldn’t go,” Smith said. “Trainers, doctors and all, they are the ones who really made that decision. As far as Jay, he is like everyone else; he was disappointed he couldn’t go out and play to help his team win.”

Smith grew agitated when asked again about Cutler not returning.

“He hurt his knee and he was out, all right? There’s nothing else for me to tell you on that,” Smith said. “I don’t know exactly when it happened. He couldn’t go, and we moved on. Let’s go to some other questions, how about that?”

That is Lovie being a good coach, if Cutler wanted to play he could have. This wasn’t a concussion, this was a knee injury that most quarterbacks in the league if they had an opportunity to go to Super Bowl would have figured out a way to be in the huddle.

As a fan you have a right to love or hate the players on your team, but do it respectfully, it is only a game.

Here are what other players around the league were tweeting about Cutler courtesy of Fanhouse:

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars RB — @Jones_Drew32
“All I’m saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee… I played the whole season on one…”

“Hey I think the urban meyer rule is effect right now… When the going gets tough…QUIT.”

Derrick Brooks, former Buccaneers LB — @DBrooks55
“HEY there is no medicine for a guy with no guts and heart”

Darnell Dockett, Cardinals DL — @DDockett
“If I’m on chicago team jay cutler has to wait till me and the team shower get dressed and leave before he comes in the locker room! #FACT.”

Matt Barnes, Lakers forward — @Matt_Barnes22
“I can’t believe Jay Cutler hasn’t even TRYED (sic) to come back.. This is to go to the Super Bowl.. That’s crazy”

Roman Oben, former Giants and Bucs OT — @R_Oben
“Jay Cutler must answer the critics about his toughness, or lack there of… #Bears”

Kerry Rhodes, Cardinals safety — @kerryrhodes
“Cmon cutler u have to come back. This is the NFC championship if u didn’t know! … Kerry Rhodes speaks.”

1. kelley says:

oh without a doubt jay cutler handed gb this game i mean nfc championship u put the guy in who helped get u here

unless he has a broken leg or arm come on ppl ! but hanie in all i thought was decent i justcant get over how this guy wouldnt get his butt back in this game even for a series when we were driving at the end just shameful on his part or the bears organzination

2. Bweezy says:

Rob, I totally disagree with you that Cutler quit on his team. If he wasn't hurt I'm sure he would play. While playing with an injury he could jeoparadise his injury and play on the field. He would be criticize if he play bad with an injury. So to be me that just an ignorant statement from you or anyone else criticizing Cutler statement.

• CF98 says:

I agree we don't know the extent of his injury sure Phillip Rivers played with a torn ACL and while that's gutsy people seem to forget he didn't even finish the game against the Colts where Billy Volek came in and lead them to victory.

He could've made it worse for himself and the future of the team.

If Hanie had pulled it out nobody would've cared.

• He played a complete game the next with the a Torn ACL..and it was a Torn ACL..You play in that situation not just fans but players all in agreement

• CF98 says:

Yes and what if he made it worse? Then what? There goes the Chargers future. I'm just reserving judgment until I hear how badly he was hurt. It just seems laughable to tell someone that they should go in and play when you don't even know the extent of their injury.

Its their body not yours.

• Don't believe me, believe to a man all the former and current players who said the exact same thing

3. Bears Fan says:

What does Lovie mean when he says "I don't know exactly when it happened". How in the world does an injury happen to your QB that knocks him out of the game and the head coach doesn't about it. I think Lovie is trying to do a little PR damage control.

4. Bweezy says:

All we know he could have a torn ligament, we just dont know what the extent of the injury is, so people need to chill before criticizing Cutler for not playing in the game. Criticize him for a poor performance not his toughness.

5. Joe says:

"Kerry Rhodes speaks" lmao

6. Daniel says:

All you need to know about Jay Cutler's heart is that he grew up a Bears fan and dreamt of leading them to a Super Bowl. It's right in front of him and he doesn't at least try to grab it. Rob is right, Phil Rivers tore his ACL, finished the game, then even played the next week. That's what QBs are supposed to do. That's why they are the highest paid players in the game. The Bears gave away 2 first round picks for this?

7. cutler the quitter says:

so i quit whats the big deal i am cutler and i do what i wanna the bears will never make another nfc championship with me at the realms ha ha ha

8. cutler the quitter says:

chicago fans can always burn my jersey i can go back and play for the broncos they want me. mri results or not stupid bear fans thought i was a tough guy i am really a quitter at heart, kids when the going get tough the tough quit thats my motto.

9. Roger says:

I have a hard time believing Cutler has what it takes to be a tough NFL quarterback, now we know why the NFL want to put skirts on these pretty boys, I seen all the other 3 quarterback take lots bigger hits than Cutler, Rodgers was hit hard on the goal line that would of put Cutler in the Hospital, Sanchez about had his arm tore off and he was back in 2 plays later, and how about Big Ben taking a knee to the thigh he never left the game limped around for a half but continued to lead his team, Cutler was playing bad and was looking for an excuse to get out he couldn't even tell you when it happened, why? cause it didn't happen! what a Vag!