Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about Fab 5 & Being Called a Bitch | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5

by Robert Littal | Posted on Wednesday, March 16th, 2011

The documentary about Michigan’s Fab 5 has stirred a lot of emotions and one of the hot button topics was their feelings about the early 90′s version of the Duke Blue Devils.

One thing people are forgetting, is they were telling you how they felt as 18 year old teenagers.

Think back to when you were 18, how you felt about certain things.  Did you feel the same at 28, 38 or 48?  Bobby Hurley has already come out and said that he would have started over Jalen Rose (that is a stretch).

Now Grant Hill who Jimmy King called a “b*tch”, is going to express his feelings in an op ed piece.  Sports By Brooks has the details.

A source at the NEW YORK TIMES told me late Tuesday that Hill has submitted an editorial to the newspaper to be published this week that will detail his feelings about the aforementioned Michigan team. Included in Hill’s piece is an anecdote about King attending Pistons training camp in 1999.

I’ve been told that Hill notes in the N.Y. Times article that King’s unflattering remark about him was particularly disappointing because he considered King a friend. In fact, Hill reveals in his editorial that he thought so much of King that he repeatedly lobbied then-Pistons GM Rick Sund not to cut the former Wolverine at the end of training camp in ‘99. (Hill’s efforts turned out to be futile, as King was released before the season.)

Instead of going to the New York Times, Grant Hill who I have great respect for, should have picked up the phone to call Jimmy King who was just expressing how he felt about Hill at the time, not years later when they were teammates.

I wouldn’t expect such pettiness out of Hill and if he can’t understand why they felt the way about him, then he is ignoring what was really going on at the time.

When Hill was 18, I would have understood  his ignorance, but today knowing what he knows about society, I thought he would be above this type of thing.

1. cwebbie says:

Petty? Really. It's in the presentation. The remarks were unflattering; but the implications are far more concerning. As a girl who grew up in the suburbs, with two parents with good jobs, I dealt with not being perceived as "black enough." It's not just a mindset of 18 years ago.

I don't think he'll do a jab for jab but it's more than appropriate to address a nationally televised documentary, that not only mentioned you by name, but also included a picture of your family for good measure. I've never seen Grant Hill do a classless thing in his 20-year career and I don't suspect he'll start now.

• Libramd says:

I hear you. I just really wish that someone would explain to me how wanting to attend a school that affords a quality education, and the fact that your parents can afford it makes you a bitch.

Im from a poor family, got the opportunity to get to a quality school in DC. Compared to some of the rest of the Black folks who went to prep school, gew up in suburbia I was a "have not". Never thought differently of my collegues, just made me want to do better. At the same time you'd have someone from Howard call you a sell-out because of going to a school you were breaking you back to stay in . Someone please explain the logic in that to me. I was sweatin about how I was gonna pay tuition just to stay there. We need to let that mentality go.

The problem is the 18 year old who said it becomes a 30 or 40 year old who tells a now 18 year old those feeling are okay, and it goes on and on and on and on…

2. whutevaman says:

I completely agree with cwebbie. I don't see anything petty about what Grant is doing. I think Jalen and Jimmy's comments showed one of the biggest problems in black culture. My parents busted their tails to make sure we had a good nieghborhood to grow up in. They stayed on their children to make sure we could speak correct english so we could get good jobs when we grew up and our culture acts as if this is something to be ashamed of. I was a teenager when the fab 5 was in Michigan, and I had to deal with the "Cosby Kid" comments, now my children have to do the same. I never understood how having a education and doing something for yourself is looked at as a negative. If anyone has shown ignorance in this it is King and Rose.

3. @SCSUfans says:

RT @jemelehill: RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

4. Nathaniel says:

"He went to penbrook… that's a private school"

This fab five thing has gotten out of control. It really makes king look in a bad light…. like he never got over it. This fab 5 and the U documentary really paint people in a bad light. And you defending this bullshi t makes you look like you don't get it. and you do…. this is a pretty smart website here.

5. Paul says:

@Robert

Really? So King can get on Television, call Grant Hill a b*tch and Hill can't write an op-ed piece? As a matter of fact I got no problem with Grant Hill writing the piece. And if you disagree what Grant is doing than you most likely agree with Rose and King's way of thinking. I just can't understand how your level of "blackness" can be determined by your "ghettoness". If you are black and have a good family upbringing then you are an Uncle Tom. For all the wrap Skip Bayless get, I'm glad he called out Jalen Rose on it on National TV.

6. @VTsPrince says:

7. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 & Being called a B*tch http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

8. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 & Being called a B*tch http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

9. @TerenceJr says:

10. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 & Being called a B*tch http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

11. @BIG_SMALLS says:

12. @PHaiz83 says:

13. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 & Being called a B*tch http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

14. Ever-Ruler says:

For the very first time since becoming a HUGE fan of your website(I check it daily) I am more than a little disappointmented at your take on Grant Hill's forthcoming response.

He just watched a very popular documentary in which several of the subjects made a point of singling out his family and college program in an unflattering light. He decided to respond through the NY Times.

Why are you so blindly assuming he will be petty and take cheap shots?

As much as we detest and complain about sitting through a game of checkers, we've become so used to it that we don't even recognize or appreciate someone who plays chess. He is not responding through Twitter daring Jalon Rose or Ray Jackson to come down to Phoenix so that he can show them how "street" he is…boldly posting "Bet dem hoes won't say dat to mah face…Bah-leeve DAT!!!" Or better yet…"Thats all right…them haters can keep on hating…long as I got my money…my fans…my family and da Lord…I ain't trippin."

Then erasing the twish and posting "My bad yall…someone musta STOOOLE my password an hacked into my account."

In your immortal words…sit back and drink a….well you know.

Dude…he's not a right wing Republican or Tea-Bagger….so I'm probably sure he used the same common sense you and I both used to know that this was how they, Rose and Jackson, both felt when they were 18.

(But I am curious to know if he rolled his eyes after reading parts of the first two comments to this post like I know I did and I'm assuming you did as well)

He is only presenting the other side of the story from the black Duke players perspective…that's all ( I hope). Until he acts the donkey give the brother the benefit.

No matter which way he responds though…at the end of the day I think Ron Washington the manager of the Texas Rangers speaks for all of us after he shrugged and stated, "Dat da way baseball go."

15. Tif says:

I disagree with cwebbie and whutevaman. I grew up in the suburbs also, but I can see where Rose and King are coming from. The Cosby’s might have been my life and Grant’s life, but to them something like that was unimaginable. In their mind to fit into the world that is ‘Duke’ you have to conform to a certain standard. To them that standard was opposite of what they were. I do however think some of the negativity they felt towards Grant was routed in envy.

16. RT @BlkSportsOnline BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 & Being called a B*tch http://bit.ly/dKiBJb

17. @DJtheScore says:

18. @ChuckyT3 says:

19. @jsmarketing says:

20. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 http://bit.ly/hUNF8E..G hill was a bitch! Lol

21. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 http://bit.ly/hUNF8E

22. I didnt wanna comment but here goes nothing.

1st off these are comments from from the mindsets of an 18 yr old Jalen Rose & Jimmy King. They kinda stated that multiple times and said these comments in past tense form. [i.e. "I thought" "he was"]

And have we over looked one of the biggest things Jalen said about it…….He was JEALOUS of Grant Hill and his lifestyle!!! He had everything that he wish he had so to motivate himself somehow so he built up these comments against him, not that they were true but just motivational tools

And for the elephant in the room, Im sorry there are Uncle Toms in the world and I can point you out a few. And people get this confused alot, an Uncle Tom is not someone who came from an affluent background or speaks proper, thats another black person. An Uncle Tom is someone who conforms to White Society and shuns Black Society and I dont think that was Grant Hill but hey what are you gonna do

• ZealAppeal says:

Bravo! People don't want to take the time to consider a matter before they speak on it. People hear something like "Uncle Tom" uttered and all of their defenses go up. Jalen did in fact state that he was jealous of Grant Hill because of the fact that he came from an established and fine family. The "Uncle Toms" Jalen is referring to are the people who see other black people (who were materially poor) being excluded from an establishment (in this case Duke), but decide to align themselves with that establishment anyways.

23. RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Grant Hill to Write Editorial in New York Times about The Fab 5 http://bit.ly/hUNF8E–why?

24. JayW says:

LouisTaylored: You basically said what I was going to say. They were speaking of past feelings and perceptions as 18 YEAR OLDS! Not now. And Jalen admitted his jealosy, for reasons that made sense whether we agree or not. It was clear He knows that was wrong, and even said he disliked more of what Grant Hill represented more than Hill as a person.

25. Did Jimmy King express how he feels about Hill now? I would disagree that Hill has the responsibility of calling King, especially if he is offended by the remarks. He is voicing his opinion in an intellectual form, one of the most respected newspapers in the world, and I'm sure it will be one of the most popular editorials on their site and in the paper once published.

26. Bweezy says:

I agree with the comments made by LouisTaylored, we have to remember what Jalen said about Duke and cohorts was when he was a teenager. I'm sure a lot of teenagers back then felt that way about Duke and the elite. People have to remember the times, it was the early 90's. America was going through some racial tension, such as the Rodney King riots, O.J. Simpson trial, and the whole prison sentences guidelines of crack vs. cocaine. I think people are taking the comments from Rose and company too literally and not looking at it from its roots.

27. Kim says:

I say King could pick up the phone and say " some unflattering comments are going to be said and I just want you to know I don't feel that way now or even later on". It wouldn't have killed any of them to preface it with

" I was young, ignorant and stupid". now they just seem old, ignorant and insensitive! Grant wasn't supposed to respond after those inflammatory comments? Really? For real?

28. aj says:

don't want to start anything, but maybe the fab five were THE REAL "SELLOUTS." five young talented BLACK young men could have changed & revolutionized the collegiate sports by attending a HBCU . instead they chose to go to a PWI with a piss poor white coach who they could run over. look up the teams the fab five consistently lost to Duke (4-0) and Indiana (4-2). what do these teams have in common, they're well coached and disciplipened. again playing devil's advocate, but they went a top 50 PWI.

29. Greg says:

I noticed the comment it was a stretch when Hurley said Rose wouldn't have started over him. Really, why not? Hurley was the kind of player they wanted and already proven at what he does and what they wanted. The whole documentary said it all. Freshmen didn't start over older players that were specifically good, so Jalen wouldn't have started over Hurley.

I agree with what people said about the blackness of a person being proven by living down rather than trying to better yourself rather than living to someone else's lowered expectations. with all that said, I have to admit that I was rooting for the Fab 5 back then. It does make me a bit uncomfortable now though to see how it played out and the responses of people today to it.

30. funkman says:

many of u white folks and some of u brainwashed Negroes will never understand what jalen and jimmy was coming from. it's a different world from where u come from! end the discussion at once! grant hill aint bout shit no way; he wasn't well liked in detroit neither; funny ass clown acting negro couldn't even say what's up, when i saw him in person- i didn't want shit; i was just speaking to the brother. that shit jalen spitting is real! d-town foe life!!