Vilification of Rashard Mendenhall Shows Hypocrisy in our Society | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Vilification of Rashard Mendenhall Shows Hypocrisy in our Society

by Robert Littal | Posted on Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011

When Donald Trump starting to talk about President Obama’s birth certificate, people were up in arms. They called for boycotts of Trump’s show ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ and hair piece products.

There was outrage, anger and venom thrown against The Donald.

You know what I did?

SHRUGGED

Everyone in the world is an independent contractor in regards to their thoughts. We are not programmed to agree with each other, nor should we be.

I reference the movie The Matrix a lot because it is relevant, especially to what is going on these days. At one part of the movie, they ask why didn’t they program the Matrix to be pure bliss and Agent Smith says it would never take— because humans wouldn’t allow themselves to be “happy”.

In layman’s terms, he was saying that humans prefer drama over nirvana.

The majority of people are followers and anytime someone goes against the grain, they are vilified and looked down upon. It is not popular to go against the masses and this is why most athletes are so boring. Because if they told us how they really felt or we you knew how they really acted, the backlash would be intense. So intense it would start affecting their money. Trust me when I tell you their money is more important than giving the media a straight answer.

People confuse facts, opinions, and evidence all the time and it is time we clear some things up about what Rashard Mendenhall said about the Osama Bin Laden.

What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side… We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style. I believe in God. I believe we’re ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge. Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves. For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell and piss on his ashes, I ask how would God feel about your heart? There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to #think

I am going to take it in portions, because people don’t read a lot of times they just react to how ESPN or FOX News tells them to react.

His first sentence is a question—nothing wrong with that. He follows that up by saying how can you hate someone you don’t know. While the premise of that statement makes perfect sense, it isn’t illogical to think how someone can hate Osama Bin Laden.

Here is the part that has people upset. If you twist his words, it looks like he is saying that Osama Bin Laden is not involved in the 9-11 attacks. But someone who is looking at it rationally he is saying we don’t know the whole the story.

That is true— that is nothing inaccurate about that statement. We have a lot of evidence, we have a lot of statements, but no one knows the entire story and everything that was involved that caused this tragedies to happen.

When he talks about he has a hard time believing a single plane can take a tower down, he is not saying something that has been said many times before. It doesn’t make it true, doesn’t make it false, once again it is his opinion which he is entitled to.

He finishes off speaking about God and judgment. Yes it is preachy, but so is Tony Dungy who doesn’t believe in gay marriage— once again doesn’t make it wrong or right.

Mendenhall asked you to “think”, but the reality is most people don’t want to. They’d rather be “told” how to think.

Do I agree with Mendenhall?

Parts of his statements specifically the celebrating death, I do agree with. The rest, not so much. Does that change my opinion of him as a person? Not at all. It’s just like when he compared the NFL to slavery, it didn’t change my opinion. I thought it was a dumb statement, but it is still his opinion.

It is okay to be critical of someone’s comments. When you make comments in public, you have to be responsible for what you say. The problem comes in when people don’t respect free speech and opinions. When you start doing that, tell me why anyone should respect your opinion?

Just because an opinion is unpopular doesn’t mean the person should be vilified— be it Donald Trump, Rashard Mendenhall or Robert Littal.

If you feel strongly about something, you should be able to say how you feel and we as a society should be adult enough to accept those opinions and move on.

People are more concerned about what you are doing than what they are doing.

Don’t worry about what I say, what I do, what I tweet or what I watch— worry about yourself.  Someone told me that “WE” shouldn’t be watching ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ and not to support to Donald Trump.

People are drones and we shouldn’t be pressured.  There is no “WE” when it comes to living your life, you first have to understand that “YOU” make the choices of your own free will and live with the decisions that you make.  As soon as you start doing things not because you want to but for fear of repercussions of the masses, “YOU” lose yourself and your identity is forever lost.

Donald Trump’s or Rashard Mendenhall’s words don’t have power over me even if ESPN or co-hosts on ‘The View’ say they should.  I look at things intelligently and rationally, form my own opinion, and go about my business.

Unfortunately, even though most claim to do the same thing, their actions say different.

Our society is a lot closer to behaving like a reality show like ‘Basketball Wives’ than responsible adults.

Everyone wants to be respected, but don’t want to give respect.

Everyone wants to claim they are being stereotyped, while perpetuating those stereotypes against others.

Everyone says they want to lead, but are always following behind.

There is a reason in the movie The Matrix, millions accepted the new program with drama, death, lies and corruption, and only a few became “unhooked”.

So tell me what pill are you taking?

Red or Blue?

1. Thanks…RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Vilification of Rashard Mendenhall Shows Hypocrisy in our Society http://bit.ly/lzF6oR

2. Tif says:

Mendenhall has a right to his opinion. Just as people have the right to have an opinion about his opinion. We’re all free to think what we like. I don’t understand what’s hypocritical about that.

3. Jamie Ayers says:

Great article Robert. The best part of your post is when you admonished us not to think something just because ESPN tells us what to think. We have to be critical thinkers.

Most of what Mendenhall said was stupid, in my opinion. However, if I was a Steelers fan, I wouldn’t want him released or traded. Moreover, with an accused rapist as the QB, it seems outlandish to think the Rooneys would do something that irrational.

Secondly, Luke Scott of the Baltimore Orioles was a birther. He was quoted in a Yahoo! article spouting off rhetoric about Obama’s birth certificate. I thought his comments were off base, but I (in your words) “shrugged”.

I find people who go against the grain to be refreshing. It’s a shame that when people are vilified for being controversial.

4. "@BlkSportsOnline: not trying to change opinions http://t.co/g5grqBh" plz read this article twitter world

5. Andrew says:

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your article.You shed light on a lot of American societies problems. We (Americans) are too caught up with peoples opinions who go against the grain and the government instead of actually thinking if they have some substance behind their words.In my opinion the government loves the media because they keep us fighting with each other instead of working together for the common good. If we can make the races hate each other and divide everyone else than the one percent group who really rules this country can keep getting richer and running our country unabated making the socioeconomic gap larger and even more people suffering and bickering with each other.

6. Andrew says:

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your article.You shed light on a lot of American societies problems. We (Americans) are too caught up with peoples opinions who go against the grain and the government instead of actually thinking if they have some substance behind their words.In my opinion the government loves the media because they keep us fighting with each other instead of working together for the common good. If they can make the races hate each other and divide everyone else than the one percent group who really rules this country can keep getting richer and running our country unabated making the socioeconomic gap larger and making even more people suffer and bicker with one each other.

7. Chad says:

Outstanding article.

Mendenhall has a right to his opinion most of it which I agree. The American government does a very good job of executing their agenda to convince the masses to think a specific way. Then the second someone steps up and questions it they are the bad guy.

Like Mendenhall said, just think. That’s all because if people did trust me they would be asking the same questions.

8. Haa says:

This site is awesome

9. LT says:

It’s actually refreshing to hear an athlete speak something quite sensible (and quasi-socially responsible) for a change outside of some forced NFL/NBA/MLB Cares production. Period.

10. ASM says:

I’m a Steelers fan, and I have no problems with people expresssing their opinions; we live in a country that enjoys the right to free speech. With that said, Mendenahall’s opinion of 9/11 and Bin Laden is just flat out wrong. Apparently he doesn’t read or watch the news b/c if he did, he would’ve remembered when Bin Laden was coming out with a new video every week cursing the U.S. and bragging about his role in 9/11. OBL also took responsibility for killing thousands of Africans even before 9/11, so to say “we’ve only heard one side” and “we don’t know know the man” is laughable. And stop using the “only God can judge people” excuse. If you see somebody hurting or murdering one of your family members, you sure as hell ain’t gon stay silent and wait for God to judge. Humans have to judge each other, otherwise criminals can do whatever they wanted without fear of consequence, and the entire world would be in chaos.

I respect people’s right to voice their opinion, but I don’t have to respect their opinion itself, especially when the opinion goes against proven facts. Going against the grain or masses doesn’t necessarily make someone a deep, intelligent thinker that steps outside the box. Sometimes it just makes that person look delusional, ignorant, and blind to reality.