Pat Riley addressed the media on the incredible ride for the 2010-11 Miami Heat ending losing to Dallas in 6. Some of Riley’s points included
Trusting his protege Erik Spoelstra to grow into a championship coach
Dwayne Wade needing to be great on defense all the time
Chris Bosh bulking up over the summer
LeBron James possibly working on a mid-range game
However unless Riley is able to do his share as the Miami Heat President in order for 2011-12 Heat to win the title, The Heatles may come up short again.
1) Find a gem in the 2011 Draft. Pat Riley had Mario Chalmers fall in his lap in the 2008 draft, he will need similar success in 2011. At pick 31 finding the best available prospect to help the team. With four second-round picks in 2010, not one impacted the roster and that must change come Thursday.
2) Search for diamond in the rough role players. Has to do his homework and find a Gary Neal type of role to help the Big 3, seasoned overseas veteran not passed his prime are out there.
3) Add more front court youth to the roster. If 2010 draft picks Dexter Pittman and Jarvis Varnado (currently playing in Italy) can make an impact, he won’t have to look for help elsewhere and earn dividends on the 2010 draft class.
4) Can’t miss on an experience Point Guard. Mike Bibby shows flashes but disappeared in the finals. The Miami Heat were at their best when the point guard play was solid. Imagine the irony if Cleveland draft Kyrie Irving and buyouts Baron Davis who then signs with the Heat.
5) Resign Mario Chalmers. Lost in the NBA finals was the emergence of a consistent Super Mario. At times erratic and always has LeBron or Dwayne in his ear, he saved his best play for the finals. Acquiring an experience Point Guard is key to keeping Mario coming on the bench and bringing the energy and fearless play the Heat need.
If Pat Riley settles on filling the roster with over the hill veterans, The Miami Heat may run out of gas at the end once again. Could you imagine if Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller didn’t play through injuries. The Big 3 needs the Pat Riley that found cagey veterans like Anthony Mason, John Starks, Ike Austin to have the necessary supporting cast they will need to hoist the trophy in 2012, all pending of course when a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached.
A helpful resource for people interested in learning management skills and
who are possibly interested in sports management is http://www.online-mba-programs.net
Maybe you could be the next Pat Riley.