Evelyn Lozada Calls Chad OchoCinco a Nigga. Is That Ok? | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Is it Ok For Evelyn Lozada To Use “N-word” in Describing Chad OchoCinco?

by BSO Staff | Posted on Thursday, August 11th, 2011

Many tuned in Monday night to watch the drink throwing incident between Eric and Jennifer Williams in its entirety, in the Season Finale of Basketball Wives.

However, the hype from Eric and Jennifer’s  altercation overshadowed the argument between Evelyn Lozada and Chad Ochocinco, which also caused quite a stir. Here is the run down of what happened:

Evelyn “coincidentally” drove past a place where Ochocinco regularly has lunch in Miami. There she sees him at lunch, enjoying a meal with who we later learn is a female friend of Chad’s. When he comes home, she begins to question him about his whereabouts. Ochocinco, admits he went out to lunch with a friend of his, that “he knows from the past”. After Evelyn corners him into admitting it was a female friend, Chad goes on to state his belief, that he doesn’t see the problem with what he did, as he wasn’t trying to hide anything, as he was on a patio of the restaurant. He goes on to also say that he should be free to do these things as long as she trusts him, without giving her details of every place he goes. As the confrontation escalates, Evelyn asks Ochocinco:

“Why do I have to drive by and have my f*ckin heart beating a mile a minute [because] I see your black a**” laughing it up with some female over coffee.

Ochocinco jokingly replies that “Everytime she sees [him] her heart should beat a mile a minute”

Evelyns response: “There’s pitter patter and then there is I’m about to punch this n*gga in his head….[that's] two different heartbeats.”

Shortly after, those not consumed by the violent drink slung in Jennifer by Eric, took to twitter saying that Evelyn Lozada had no business using the “N” word, as she is not African American. Others also made comments saying that she needed to be put in her place.

In response to the tweets, Evelyn also took to twitter.

In my opinion, I agree with the followers outraged by her use of the “N” word. Evelyn can tweet a thousand facts to debate and convince us all that her grandmother’s, uncle’s, aunt’s, bestfriend’s cousin is of African descent, but contrary to Evelyn’s assertion… we in fact were not all on the same “boat”.

There is no arguing the history of the word and its negative meaning. And while the word is still heavily used, due the controversy of its use, I feel that unless you are 100% African American, then you have no business using the word period.

So slice it, dice it, divide it however you want Evelyn–no matter how many black people have been in–I mean around you growing up, you shouldn’t use the word on national television.

But if Ochocinco has no problems with his chick running around calling him a “black a**” and the “N-word” that’s his business.

1. missrook says:

who exactly is 100% Afr. Amer?

2. She a nigga too RT @BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Is it Ok For Evelyn Lozada To Use "N-word" in Describing Chad OchoCinco? http://bit.ly/nbfa5Z

3. Keli says:

I think we all should cut the word out of our vocabulary… or as my parents would say… “Don’t discuss family business out in public.” We say things in mixed company and wonder why they feel free to do the same. I think I was more offended by the “black a**” comment while reading your article. I stopped watching this travesty of a show long ago.

and I agree with Missrook, not too many of us are 100%… well I know my gene pool is diluted, but both of my parents are considered to be black, so hey… I guess that makes me full-blooded black.

Oh, and Hook’em! \m/

• Tesia Sade says:

I agree that no one is 100% African-American. As I stated in another response, my use of this number was to simply a play off of Evelyn’s attempt to present numbers to justify her use of the word.

You said yourself that your gene pool isn’t 100% black, but you identify as black. Evelyn, on the other hand, may have came from African heritage, generations and generations ago, does not identify as black at the end of the day. So I simply felt she shouldn’t be trying to claim percentages now to justify her use of a word she had no business using in the first place.

Thanks and “Hook’ Em!” \m/ !!

• Kristin M says:

I think that you are reading too much into what she said. She was simply mad in the heat of an argument with her boyfriend. To zero in on the fact that she used the “N” word is ridiculous. Instead of singling her out, why not make this blog spot about the use of the “N” word in the Latin America culture. Then include rappers like Big Pun, Fat Joe and Irv Gotti who consistently used the “N” word and never got any flack. There was no harm meant by it…why make it a big deal?

4. Kissy Denise says:

I agree. Evelyn can say wtf she wants..

5. taj harris says:

Who are we to criticize anyone for using that word when it has become a staple lexicon in our communities and our culture? Until we completly denounce it ourselves then we should not be complaining about who or whom uses that word…And when is the last time you have been to NewYork or any other place in the USA where there is a large population of Boriqua? These cats have been saying Nigga just as long as we have…

• GQTrojan says:

Co-sign on everything you just stated. It’s silly for some black folks to complain about others using the n-word when many black folks themselves refuse to stop using it. She obviously didn’t mean it in a racist, “I’m superior to you because you’re black” kind of way. She was simply pissed at him because she suspected him of cheating. And many black folks regularly call each other niccas whether they’re pissed or not.

• Fat Boy Slim says:

I agree…don’t see this writer or any writer getting on Fat Joe and the like who use it on a regular basis!

6. ernie says:

And what if she would have called Tom Brady a “Honky Mother F#*%ker? Would there be an uproar on here about that??? Just saying.

7. leRoCha3 says:

Let’s be honest here. Ain’t no person “100% black”. Simply foes NOT exist. African-Americans…or Black Americans as they should be called because AA is a different connotation…will never be 100% of African descent. So before arguing make sure you begin with actual facts because Evelyn clearly knows hers. And as many of have stated until we stop calling each other nigga then we shouldn’t flip over others use of it. What we must realize is there plenty of folks that grow up in the hoods of cities and by nature develop use of the word through their associations. So naturally they feel comfy with the word because they feel as a person “in the same boat” that they have permission to use it. We need to grow up and stop worrying about words like that and worry about the actual actions of ppl in leadership who attempt to squeeze “us” out everyday. Stop stressing over reality folks and focus on REALITY.

• Tesia Sade says:

I agree that no one is in fact, 100 % African American; My use of that percentage, was simply a play off of Evelyn’s attempt to present numbers to justify her use of the word. If she or anyonelse has to “google” facts to justify their entitlement to use the word, then perhaps they shouldn’t be using it. That was the only point I was trying to make by using that percentage.

8. cathrynmarie says:

Big Pun always said nigga….what’s the problem?

9. puerto-black says:

Im a Nigga-rican. That 100% talk? Nigga please

• WhoMe? says:

I thought she was a blatina(Afro-Latina). Is she not?(Serious Question) I don’t see the big deal, really. Now, if she were Mexican I’d have a problem with it.

• WhoMe? says:

That reply wasn’t for you Puerto-black.

• Tesia Sade says:

She isn’t Afro-Latina. She is “100%” Latina. She tweeted percentages to attest to the fact, that a percentage of Puerto Ricans have African heritage, but neither of her parents identify as African American.

• WhoMe? says:

Afro-Latino is still 100% Latino though.

Evelyn aside, if you heard Zoe Saldana, Christina Milian or Laz Alonso say it, would you really be offended?

What about Hatians like Garcelle Beauvais?

10. *NO!* RT @BlkSportsOnline BSO Post: Is it Ok For Evelyn Lozada To Use “N-word” in Describing Chad OchoCinco? http://bit.ly/pgu4g0

11. Check Out My Latest BSO Post: Is it Ok For Evelyn Lozada To Use “N-word” in Describing Chad OchoCinco? http://bit.ly/pwam9Z

12. My sis @LoveJonesGirl_ RT @BlkSportsOnline: Is it Ok For Evelyn Lozada To Use “N-word” in Describing Chad OchoCinco? http://bit.ly/pwam9Z

13. Jas says:

If you are going to talk about her saying nigga then you might as well gut out Fat joe, Big Pun, Jennifer Lopez.. ALL boriquas for saying it then. All minorities have a “unspoken right” to use that word if they’re down so lets be real here.

14. Mockdrafthq says:

Puerto Ricans are part african so what is the big deal?

15. dJB says:

There is such a thing as 100%.
    Apply for a job, walk down the street, try to buy something in a department store, have a conversation with your local police. Check how you are treatd vs. someone you know is 100% white.
    Were you treated different???…..
    Thats how you know what your genetic make-up is!

Be honest: we had a chance to make the “N” word unspeakable!
    But we blew it!

16. dboy says:

all the puerto ricans just mentioned are from the BRONX. J-LO, Fat Joe, Big Pun, there all from the Bronx! Last time I checked Evelyn was from Bx too. I’m black but i’m from NY and I think alot of blacks from the south aint used to seein other races use the n word.

17. Darrell says:

Even if you are 100% African-American,all the more reason not to use the N-word. The movement in America to remove this embolisim from our vocabulary will never succeed in the face of such perpetual calousnous!

18. thedalesays says:

Why should it be okay for just black people to say the N word? I happen to be a white person but the way I see it if you don’t want to be called it stop holding double standards and calling other people the dang word…rahtards…