Jason Whitlock Not a Fan of Deion Sanders' Hall of Fame Speech | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Jason Whitlock Not a Fan of Deion Sanders’ Hall of Fame Speech

by Robert Littal | Posted on Monday, August 8th, 2011

You make choices in life, you can either grab the negative out of everything or you can look a deeper and find the positive.  I use to get really upset and bothered when people use to have negative things about me until someone much wiser than I sat me down and said.

“If you separate the white noise, you will always hear the proper message.”

Sometimes you have to look beyond the words to see the bigger meaning and you also can’t project your meaning into someone thoughts.

That is the problem I have with Jason Whitlock’s interpretation of Deion Sander’s Hall of Fame speech here is what he had to say.

My mother worked on an assembly line at Western Electric for 32 years. During my childhood on the east side of Indianapolis, depending on how much overtime she could finagle, she earned between $18,000 and $28,000 a year checking the ringers on telephones.

When things were tough, she took a second job, working a cash register at a local grocery store. On some weekends, she moonlighted as a kitchen beautician, giving her girlfriends perms. She drove a used, beat-up Mustang, and the few nice clothes she had, she bought from the “hot” clothes lady out of the trunk of a car or van.

As a child, I spent a lot of time wishing my parents had never divorced, wondering why my brother and I couldn’t have the same life as Wally and Beaver Cleaver, occasionally embarrassed by our circumstance in comparison to some of my friends in our working-class suburb.

As an adult, I take great pride in my mother’s work history and ethic. She retired from Western Electric at age 53. She never quit working. She’s 71 and works every tax season for H&R Block. My father is 75. He still works at his bar. My parents set a standard for work ethic that my brother and I try to meet each day.

I’m glad Deion was able to take care of his mother. I’m glad I can provide for mine. But there is great honor and dignity in work, no matter how menial the labor.

This is in reference to Deion’s motivation to be great after being embarrassed by a teammate after finding out that his mother cleaned at a Hospital.

The one thing Whitlock fails to understand which makes sense is if you are just looking at it on a surface level is that at the time Deion was a child.

When you are a kid you can’t be expected to understand the same things that an adult would.  I don’t think Sanders was proud that he was embarrassed about his mother’s place of employment, on the contrary you could see that it hurt him that he couldn’t help but feel that way.  The easy way way out for Deion would have just to said he did it for his mother, but the message is stronger when you put it in context of why he did it for his mother.

He made a  choice, which Whitlock, Shannon Sharpe and a lot of people had to make.  A choice to figure out how to make sure your parents who took care of you lived a better life.

It doesn’t matter if that meant becoming Primetime or working for Fox Sports, you just did what you had to do.

By finding and emphasizing the negative in Deion’s speech all Whitlock is doing in perpetuating the stereotype no matter what black men do there will always be another black man that will try to rain on their parade and be another crab in a barrel.

I am sure Whitlock’s mother wouldn’t condone that.

1. Meanwhile, back at the ranch RT @BlkSportsOnline BSO:Jason Whitlock Not a Fan of Deion Sanders’ Hall of Fame Speech http://t.co/0RYCkLM

2. Amen… @WhitlockJason is a butthole! “@BlkSportsOnline: BSO Post: Whitlock Not a Fan of Deion’s Hall of Fame Speech http://t.co/r7UU0aR”

3. Thank you @BlkSportsOnline for this! http://bit.ly/oNRXAl How do u judge a man w/o knowing the man himself? #Throwingstonesfromaglasshouse

4. GQTrojan says:

Yeah, I like Whitlock becasue he sometimes thinks outside the box–but I think he missed the point on this one. I don’t think 43 year-old Deion looks down on people who work 9-5 blue collar or menial job like adolescent Deion did (atleast I hope he doesn’t).

5. DAMEN says:

I LIKE JASON WHITLOCK !!!!!! HIS IDEA OF DEION I THINK IS BECAUSE OF THE ALTER EGO KNOWN AS PRIMETIME AND IS NOT SEPERATING THE TWO IGNIMAS MOST MEDIA PEOPLE DON’T!!!!!!!!!!! THEY’RE QUICK TO POINT OUT FLAWS NEVER TRYING TOO ELABORATE ON WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING OR THE CONTEXT IT WAS MEANT!!!!!!! JASON WAS IN MY OPINION LOOKING FOR A SOFT SPOT IN YOUR HEART FOR THE GUY !!!!! BUT YOUR LOOKING @ HIM LIKE THE JACK A$$ DAT PLAYED EVERY SUNDAY KNOWN AS PRIMETIME…… I AM OK WITH WAT DEION SAID MOST KIDS GROWING UP FACING THE SINGLE PARENT HOMES IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM HAVING 2 PARENTS EVEN WITH DIVIORCE YOU STILL HAVE BOTH PARENTS JUST NOT TOGETHER !!!!!!! THIS IS JUST ONE MAN’S OPINION

6. Preak Sity says:

Whitlock is the same “asshat” that refers to Serena Williams as a BBW. He’s surely related to Uncle Ruckus.

7. P.A. Krunch says:

I “used” to be ok with Whitlock and his comments no matter whether I agreed with him or not. This entry will be the last that I ever read from him. It is all too obvious to me that he is just a “hater”, probably due to the fact that he is unable to do as much for his parent as Deion did for his mother. This is the kind of person that just makes me sick. Maybe because of his own inability to make it in professional sports, he has chosen to rain on the parade of those who excelled. Maybe if he had pushed back from that table full of pork chops he could have given himself a better chance to be hated in the manner that he does to other successful sports figures. Whitlock is unparalleled in his infinite ignorance while also leading the pack in undeserved acclaim. Fart on you, Jason. You’re a pig.

8. ELove says:

TOTALLY AGREE with YOU and I stop reading & Supporting FAT-HEAD during the Ben “I’m a SERIAL Date-Rapist” Fiasco was going on…

It’s AMAZING how when a Black Male gets enough YT people to kiss their AZZ that all of a Sudden they think their MORE Enlightened than you SIMPLY BECAUSE YT supports Their Ignorance regarding Unwarranted Criticism of Black Athletes that YT loathes SMH

He’s a Total Waste of Skin, Fat and Bones — IMO

9. Dex says:

Jason Whitlock got his speeches mixed up. This was not the Gettysburg Address or Breaking news from the President. This was a PERSONAL account of man’s life from boyhood to manhood. How anyone could have a problem with a man’s PERSONAL account of his own life is beyond me. Everyone didn’t grow up the same but I can guarantee you, most of us can relate to what Deion said. Deion’s journey was positive and he shared his failings as a child and his accomplishments as an adult and athlete. He didn’t tell every kid to create a persona in order to make it big, nor did he say learn to catch a football. His message was find something you care about, pursue it and make it yours. Whitlock missed the mark on this one and I hope his “followers” tell him so.

10. Jade E. Freeman says:

I think Deion clouded his message (hard work, determination and loyalty)with values grounded rampant consumerism and superficiality.

We all like nice stuff. And I also understand how, as children, we are easily and irrationally embarrassed by our parents. However, we also are overwhelmingly like to find self-worth outside ourselves a.k.a.”hair styles and tennis shoes.”

That would a major factor behind why 60-80% (depending on the sport)of pro athletes go broke within 5 years of retirement after earning millions.

I would have loved Prime Time to have used his speech to say that his image was a tool to earn and not an amplification of his values.

11. This article concerning SEO gives clear idea in favor of new SEO viewers that how to do SEO, thus keep it up. Nice job

12. gaucho says:

Of training course like your website web page but you want to have to verify the spelling on a number of of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling difficulties and I uncover it truly bothersome to tell the reality even so I’ll certainly occur back the moment all over again.

13. Absolutely imagine that which you claimed. Your preferred reason seemed to be on the internet most effective issue to be aware of. I say to people, I certainly find annoyed while people take into account doubts they will simply don’ t be familiar with. You were able to attack your fasten when the superior together with identified available the complete element without gaining unwanted effect, people may well require a signal. Can maybe end up back for any lot more. Thanks a lot.