Andre Berto Tests Positive of Banned Substance Norandrosterone | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Andre Berto Tests Positive for Banned Substance, Ortiz Fight in Danger

by Robert Littal | Posted on Friday, May 18th, 2012
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someoneShare on RedditShare on Google+

What is going on with these boxers all of sudden testing positive for PEDS?

First Lamont Peterson and now Andre Berto. Ortiz vs. Berto 2 already had to be rescheduled once because Berto was injured, now it maybe put in the shelf permanently.

Former welterweight titleholder Andre Berto has tested positive for a banned substance, putting his scheduled June 23 rematch with fellow former titlist Victor Ortiz in jeopardy.

Berto tested positive for the steroid norandrosterone, a source with direct knowledge of the test results told ESPN.com on Friday.

Showtime is proceeding as though the fight will be canceled. A network source told ESPN.com that Showtime is already discussing with Golden Boy Promotions about possible replacement opponents to face Ortiz.

Berto submitted to a random urine test on May 2, according to the source. The “A” test came back positive last week. The “B” sample also came back positive Friday, triggering VADA to alert the California State Athletic Commission, DiBella and Golden Boy’s Richard Schaefer, Ortiz’s promoter.

Hopefully they can find an opponent for Ortiz so he doesn’t waste another training camp.

About the Author

Founder of BlackSportsOnline and BonaFide Media. @BSO. Email Robert

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current ye@r *


BlackSportsOnline
BSO Privacy Policy