Olympic Gymnast Gabby Douglas' Hair Controversy | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Olympic Gymnast Gabby Douglas’ Hair Controversy Shows How Stupid We Have Become

by Robert Littal | Posted on Friday, August 3rd, 2012

If you can’t tell I think this is dumb.

And to use a gymnastic term it is ALL AROUND DUMB. I am not a hypocrite, I admit we post dumb stuff all the time, but the difference I don’t take things seriously that aren’t.

Lebron getting denied by a swimmer, Kobe shirtless, Donovan McNabb at the zoo and etc, none of that is serious. People find it interesting and that is why we post.

I have a rule, it is a personal rule and something I don’t expect anyone to follow, but if someone is a kid I won’t make fun of them.

If Gabby was 21 and not 16 it might be different, but she is a kid at the Olympics who just won a gold medal, her hair shouldn’t be the trending topic.

But am I surprised?

Of course not, I study trends daily, I know how people in the social media world are. This is something that athletes young and old will have to deal with it.

Everyone has an opinion now, but individuals have to be smarter to know what opinions to pay attention. We live in a society where parody accounts have more followers than real people. Where trolling can make you famous.  I might be expecting too much of people, but sometimes you have to just formulate your own opinion and stop depending on others to make it for you.

Someone emailed me saying I needed to defend Gabby, she doesn’t need defending, the publicity in a backwards way is a good thing more people know who she is now than ever before.

If you are up in arms about Gabby’s hair, you priorities are out of order. She will be fine, she has a gold medal and will be a star for a long time. There are a lot more important things to be upset about.

There are times when black people are our own worst enemies because we turn minor things into big issues. Be it black guys who date white girls, light skin vs. dark skin or real hair vs. weave. If we took more time dealing with real issues in our communities these discussions would fade away.

Who cares if someone doesn’t like Gabby’s hair? That is their opinion, keep it moving. Don’t waste energy on something that isn’t worth your time.

Everyone should just chill like Ryan Lochte at the strip club, it isn’t that serious.

1. Angela says:

It’s twitter models doing most of the complaining anyway. IMHO, it’s the usual cast of suspects being ignorant and believing that their definitions of beauty should overshadow the good things one does in life.

2. Hmm says:

Um, so only black people focus on the insignificant? So that’s why that Twighlight actress who cheated on her co-star boyfriend got so much less coverage in the media than the Syrian civil war. You know what’s more annoying than people who make mountains out of mole hills? People who assume that those people are a bigger group contingency than they actually are. You can call it the 10/80/10: There are 10% of Americans (black, white, etc.) who give an eff either way and a vast majority who don’t care at all. As Nixon called them “The Silent Majority.” It’s a safe bet (99.9%) that all 40+ million black people aren’t on twitter .

3. shara says:

those black women who said negative things about Gabby’s hair are dumb asses. Doubt they even have proper jobs.

4. Ed Kimble says:

1st, I am not black; but I have a great many friends who are. Like them I cannot accept the advice that people should “just let it be; let it slide…” where does this end? This girl is a great athlete and she is out there for her race, her country, her friends…etc…etc; why should WE NOT BE HERE FOR HER?!!

Look around you! The police are cutting their hair off to mimic tough guy movies about these big shot government hit teams (squads?) but you don’t hear people running around calling them Skinheads!
    Miss Douglas should be given everyone’s support; all of us. the heck with nice! We can start on that tomorrow; if we really want to.

Oh, I think her hair is nice; it was probably just some honky A.H. anyway.

5. marja says:

what is wrong with her hair?! for God sake! she won gold
    lets celebrate.

6. Rochell Cochren says:

These inspiring ideas likewise acted like a fantastic way to know that the rest have the same dreams really like my personal own to see a whole lot more concerning this problem. I’m sure there are thousands of more enjoyable times in the future for many who check out your blog.

7. Nora Lavole says:

It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

8. I sorry for bad English.Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch since I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

9. Daniel Sayed says:

Great! very very good site, I’m likely to forward your blog to everyone on my own facebook to suit your needs!

10. Erwin Rainey says:

Excellent web site. Lots of helpful information here. I am sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks to your sweat!

11. I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my site :)

12. You made some respectable factors there. I appeared on the internet for the problem and found most individuals will go along with together with your website.

13. Enjoyed seeking by way of this, very great stuff, regards .

14. Good way of important, and polite clause to get the whole story regarding my presentation focus, which i am going to deliver in academy.

15. Pisanie prac says:

Well I really enjoyed reading it. This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning.