Duke Female Lacrosse Player Shown In Blackface On School Website | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Duke Female Lacrosse Player Shown In Blackface On School Website

by Glenn Erby | Posted on Monday, November 12th, 2012

Once again we get into the conversation of right and wrong, and how ethics and morals play a part in everything we do.

The constant revolving conversation of blackface and whether it is right or wrong will probably linger for years and decades to come.

The question today concerns what roles do institutions play in carrying out thoseĀ  proper moral and ethics.

The Duke Blue Devils women’s lacrosse team decided to dress up in character theme for Halloween.

In the above photo, which was posted on goduke.com, the Junior female players obviously chose the “Little Rascals Theme.”

I would assume someone had to be Buckwheat, and I believe by looking at the photo, we can see which student chose the role.

The shock is not in the young lady choosing to paint her face black.

I don’t know if she’s racist, and digress from assuming such a claim in this forum and on this site.

What I do know is that regardless if the blackface was done with malice or in simple fun, the photo should not still be sitting on a page ran by Duke University athletics, some 12 days after Halloween.

I know pundits will be out in full force after reading this.

Well what if a black girl had dressed up in whiteface, or just didn’t mean any harm.

All that is irrelevant at this point, because the young lady will simply catch a ton of flack for painting her face black, and the meaning the gesture still holds all these years later.

Powered by

I Am A Senior writer for BlackSportsOnline, I own thacover2.com, sports AFICIONADO, degree in Sociology, Waiting On My Moment!

1. jimmyt says:

I see no other way for a white person to portray a black person other than by wearing dark makeup. Is it really still called “blackface” or is that just to help make it seem racist?

2. Paully J says:

As a black man..its intent is obviously not racist. No need to even get upset about it. Shouldn’t have been news Glenn

• Michael says:

Exactly right. What makes something racist is not the history, but the intent. This is not like the N* word, where even well-meaning people can really offend.

We all know that blackface was used to perpetuate racist stereotypes. But that doesn’t mean it can never be done by someone ever again because someone misused it.

This sort of hypersensitivity among people of all races only worsens things. We’re all learning and healing. Let the anger go, or at least save it for something worthy.

3. GQTrojan says:

Who really still gives a damn about this stuff which happens EVERY Halloween?

There are way more important issues to be concerened about.

4. Truth says:

Of course it matters. We don’t know if she is racist, we do know a non racist white person wouldn’t even go there. It’s the mentality behind it, that is of concern. Small things on the outside, reveals bigger pictures within. In this case the university that finds it acceptable. Important issues start as small issues. They continue because we don’t stop them before they become an issue.

• Paully J says:

leave it alone. Its not racist. There is no reason to think so. Im black. Trust me I see racism alot and this isnt racism. We gotta quit being on edge about this racism shit. Racism is that rally that the white supremacist pulled in Charlotte that was on the news.

• David says:

Thank you, someone gets it. We will never get past racism with everyone making a big deal over something so small. We are all people no matter the color.

• Michael says:

“We do know a non racist white person wouldn’t even go there.”

No, you don’t know that, and neither do I. All you know is that you think such an act appears racist to you and you think it should appear racist to everyone else.

Tell me, which might seem more racist: To dress up like a character and depict his race, or to deny that person’s race by making him white, or even omit that character altogether on account of race?

Not every small issue is important, nor is ever little thing symptomatic of a bigger problem. However, it is very easy for something small and innocuous to become a big and dangerous problem if people pile their own preconceptions on top of it.

Certainly small details can reveal a bigger picture inside, but you should also realize that you can’t draw a line with just one point. Unless there is a pattern of racial innuendo, which one incident is not, trying to draw conclusions here is folly.

Now, what does the fact that you find any white person dressing up as any black person for pretty much any reason (Halloween??) say about you? I don’t know. But it is something for you to think about.

All the finger pointing and taking offense only leads to more problems. There is a time and place to take a stand, but this does not appear to be one of them.

5. BOATLOVER518 says:

HEY, WHY IS BLACKFACE A NEGATIVE IN THE 21ST CENTURY. I’M BLACK AND I’M PROUD AND THIS IS THE CLOSEST THAT WHITES CAN GET TO EMULATE US, SO BE IT. I DO FIND IT FUNNY HOW A PEOPLE CAN ALWAYS TRY TO LOOK LIKE US, THEN HATE US AT THE SAME DANG TIME!!!

6. Paully B says:

It might not had been racist…but it sure was stupid. I’m black too BTW.

7. Jolly Jim says:

My question is why it’s OK to have a website called “Black Sports Online”. If we had a “White Sports Online” the world would go nuts. It was OK for the Wayens brothers to be “White Chicks” but if two white guys did a movie called “Black Chicks” they would be demonized. The double standard is just unbelievable.

8. Rod says:

Not an issue. Form Libertarian African American.

9. jLauve says:

Blackface + The South is always going to be a bad idea.
    Plus dressing up as Buckwheat which is already offensive…she should probably knew it would cause some controversy. Should could’ve just asked one of her black friends (which you know she’ll say she has in regards to the “i’m not racist” defense) and I’m sure they would’ve told her it was a bad idea, even if she meant no harm by it.

10. If it wasn’t for Tropic Thunder kids THESE days wouldn’t even know what black face is. Nobody cared when the Wayens brothers did White Chicks but some college girl dresses up as a black person for halloween and it hits Yahoo top searches? Maybe we all need to take a step back and realize that some of this shit just isn’t that serious. I am not saying that racism is not a serious topic, just that we have much better things to worry about then this.

11. BlueManGroup says:

I was just reading about this issue on chroniclesports. I noticed their webpage prominently
    displayed students of many races and nationalities in “Blue Face”.
    I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED AND OUTRAGED THAT WE WOULD BE MOCKED LIKE THIS.
    HOW INSENSITIVE TO BLUE PEOPLE!

12. Paully J says:

to each its own but i do not find it racist. like i said ive seen and experienced racism. i think its funny more than anything. Back to playing Black Ops