Brian Cushing Wants NFL To Ban Chop Blocks
Houston Texans star linebacker Brian Cushing is in the midst of a courageous rehab from ACL surgery and trying to be ready for the Texans opener in September.
Cushing has a little free time and he’s using that to politic to the NFL and rules committee to ban the chop block that ended his season early in October after Jets lineman Matt Slauson hit Cushing with a chop block that the middle linebacker never even saw.
Cushing Spoke to USA Today Sports, and let it be known the block is an injury waiting to happen.
“It’s just asking for an injury when you get guys this big, this fast going full speed at legs,” Cushing told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. “What do you think is going to happen?”
Cushing is a week in a half away from running, and rejoining his teammates in some on the field work. Not Surprising is the fact that his head coach Gary Kubiak doesn’t agree with Cushing.
Why would he, those same chop blocks spring Arian Foster for big gains.
“Me? I think you know that answer,” Kubiak said at the NFL scouting combine last month. “It’s part of what we do. I think it’s part of football. We teach it the right way. Hopefully, that part stays with us.”
Cushing who says he still hasn’t heard from Slauson, would be proud to have a rule named after him.
“If my injury further prevents other injuries, then that’s success, and there can be some good to come out of my injury,” Cushing said. “Hopefully, my injury does change the rule and in the future will prevent tons and tons of knee injuries.
“As far as cut blocks being eliminated, every defensive player would probably be for that and would approve it.”