Doug Gotlieb Apologizes For "White Man's Perspective" Remark | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Doug Gottlieb Apologizes For “Bringing White Man’s Perspective” Comment

by Vashti Hurt | Posted on Friday, March 29th, 2013

Doug Gotlieb Apologizes

As we reported yesterday, CBS college hoops analyst Doug Gottlieb got the side eye while making an ill-placed joke about bringing the “white man’s perspective” to a set that included an all black group that included: Greg Gumble, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Greg Anthony.

“I don’t know why you guys ask me, I’m just here to bring diversity to this set, give kind of the white man’s perspective,” he said during the show

Gottlieb has since issued a statement apologizing.

“It was not a smart thing to say and I apologize,” he said.

Later in the broadcast Charles Barkley came to the defense of Gottlieb, whose comments got plenty of attention on social media.

“I know this has nothing to do with the game; I want to say something about Doug Gottlieb,” Barkley said. “He made a joke earlier tonight and people are going crazy. All those idiots on Twitter, which I would never ever do, all you people at home who’ve got no life and are talking bad about Doug Gottlieb, get a life. It’s over with. It’s no big deal.”

I know that Gottlieb was just making a joke and did not mean to offend anyone, but it’s always important to remember that as long as people are discriminated against because of color, racial tensions will always be high and remarks like this will always be viewed offensive to some.  I also agree with the argument that if a black analyst on a white panel said that he was bringing the “black man’s perspective” there wouldn’t be as much hype, but I think it’s important to think about racial sensitivity and why it’s here.  We are less than 50 years removed from not being able to drink from a white water fountain, and the historical context of racial discrimination in this country is what makes remarks like this offensive.  Did some make a bigger deal out of this than there should’ve been?…Yes. Do I think Doug Gottlieb is a racist bigot that was trying to be offensive?…No. But should Gottlieb have apologized for an ill-placed attempt at sarcasim…Yes.

Powered by

Life-Long Sports Lover, Self-Proclaimed Trash-Talker, Part-Time Tom Boy, and Full-Time Woman.

1. VRM says:

Here’s my confusion, if Javale McGhee verbatim says “Shaq ting a c**n on national TV and he doesn’t get reprimanded nor held accountable for it (expect for BSO staff writers; unless he already got fined,apologize, trouble et al.) then why is Doug catching heat for saying that? Bc he’s white? If a black analyst said that I highly doubt there will be an issue. It would be highly wrong if Doug gets suspended for saying “white man perspective ” while saying “c**n” gets swept under the rug . Just offering my two pennies that’s all.

• Vashti says:

I understand what you’re saying and appreciate your comment on the article…and I also agree that if a black analyst on a white panel said that he was bringing the black man’s perspective there wouldn’t be as much hype, but I think it’s important to think about racial sensitivity and why it’s there. We are maybe 50 years removed from not being able to drink from a white water fountain…and the historical context of racial descrimination in this country is what makes it offensive. Let me be clear…I wasn’t personally offended by the remarks, but I do see where some could be and that’s what warrants an apology.

• Doctor X says:

Settle down Vashti. I’m sure you’ve never had to worry about drinking from a black or white only fountain. This is just something for you to jump on (late I might add) so that you sound like you’ve got a a real blog topic…..lame.

• Vashti says:

I haven’t but my mother did, and I in my industry am faced with questionable comments all the time. And Doctor X…it must not be THAT lame you read it AND commented. Thanks! And you’re welcome to keep reading my LAME stories. Enjoy

• Doctor X says:

Surprise surprise….you’re 4 days late in your response. You’re never going to get anywhere as a blogger with that kind of response time. You’ll learn to stay current in the news world with articles that still have staying power. And come on, did you really think I read your article? I just knew that someone would be playing the ‘black’ card down in the comment line. Low and behold it was the blogger…..

• Vashti says:

“Doctor X” you’re simple another person who talks tough behind the anonymity of the interent, but doen’t have the balls to voice your opinion when your indentity is known. Save it…and I know you’re reading, you don’t have to lie…and I thank you for that. Smooches

2. Black Canseco says:

I’ve never liked DOug Gottlieb. He always comes off as sort of a know-it-all, the kinda guy quick to argue in a bar or condescend to those who “never played the game” as he did. Every once in a while, regardless of the make up of the group he’s in, Gottlieb gets outshined and is clearly uncomfortable. His whole “white man’s perspective” was as much about realizing that he was surrounded by–yet again–folk more accomplished than him and people that weren’t going to fold to his opinions on basketball unless the mothership’s higher-ups told ‘em too.

3. Ladybball says:

Charles Barkley made racial jokes all the time while he was on Inside the NBA on TNT and people thought it was funny as it won him award even. I agree with Charles Barkely typical overreaction and this coming from someone who is black. He probably meant the joke in the “I’m the only white guy in the room” since he was surrounded by black males, it was a nerdy joke people got upset for no reason about. I don’t like tit for tat racial confusion it doesn’t make anything better, and it doesn’t make me pump my fist in the air and shout black pride either. I notice my people only take offense, to offensive references when it comes from a white person when we utter similar nonsense about one another on a daily basis, and then it makes it cool.

4. Dick Nuggets says:

Damn, niggas be sensitive mutha’ fuckas…..

5. MOONMAN says:

Barkley just made a joke before the Knicks last night about slapping the white guy and referenced Django Unchained. He has made more racial jokes than anyone and if he was the only black guy a on a panel he’d make a joke and everyone would bail him out by laughing.