ESPN Chris Broussard Says Homosexuality is a Sin, After Jason Collins Comes Out the Closet | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Chris Broussard Says Homosexuality is a Sin & Why People Should Respect That

by Robert Littal | Posted on Monday, April 29th, 2013

Chris Broussard Sources

Chris Broussard is paid by ESPN to give his opinion. They put him on Outside of the Lines and asked his opinion on Jason Collins coming out of the closet.

Here is what he had to say.

“I’m a Christian. I don’t agree with homosexuality. I think it’s a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is. [ESPN's] L.Z. [Granderson] knows that. He and I have played on basketball teams together for several years. We’ve gone out, had lunch together, we’ve had good conversations, good laughs together. He knows where I stand and I know where he stands. I don’t criticize him, he doesn’t criticize me, and call me a bigot, call me ignorant, call me intolerant.

“In talking to some people around the league, there’s a lot Christians in the NBA and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don’t want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That’s what LZ was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names.

“… Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an opnely premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”

What’s the problem?

His job is to give his opinions, you don’t like his opinion, so what? No one forces you to watch ESPN. No one forces you to follow Broussard. No one is putting a gun to your head and saying you have to believe what he believes in.

Can you disagree?

Of course, I think he is 100% wrong, but am I am going to call him a name or attack him for his religious beliefs? That would make me a hypocrite and I don’t believe in hypocrisy. I want people to respect my beliefs and opinions, because I surely have a lot of them, so in turn I have to respect others.

Especially ones that I have no factual of way of proving wrong. I can call Tebow, but I don’t have a direct line to Jesus, God, Joseph or Mary. All I have is my personal faith and belief, everyone can do whatever the hell they want to do with their lives, because that has nothing to do with me.

So before you go after Broussard, remember when it comes to religious beliefs there are millions in the world, but only one can be right and by the time you find out which one,  it is too late, because you are dead.

Put down the pitchfork, people are entitled to their beliefs without being lynched by the mob.

Broussard released a statement.

Today on OTL, as part of a larger, wide-ranging discussion on today’s news, I offered my personal opinion as it relates to Christianity, a point of view that I have expressed publicly before. I realize that some people disagree with my opinion and I accept and respect that. As has been the case in the past, my beliefs have not and will not impact my ability to report on the NBA. I believe Jason Collins displayed bravery with his announcement today and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA.

1. Gabriella says:

Finally someone who is talking with sense.

2. Jerry Jones says:

Standing Ovation to Chris Broussard!

• Craig W says:

Why give Broussard a stadning O. The fallback for these Homophobes is the bible. That is how they attempt to sidestep their bigotry. Just say the bible says so! That’s BS. Also he thinks homosexuality or sex before marriage is a sin. So he lives in a glass house. So you believe Chris B. never had sex outside of marriage. Be careful when you get on the moral high horse, you better make sure all your skeletons are tucked away and no-one can get to them.

• Jerry Jones says:

Hypocrite..you cry about having an open mind but you are just as bigoted for downing someone for having an opinion so sit down and open your mind as well.

• Jerry Jones says:

You cry about having an open mind but you are just as bigoted for downing someone for having an opinion so sit down and open your mind as well.

3. Eddie T. says:

Just wait till we find out about his mistress or something like that.

4. anon says:

great this is the first time ever bso came with some sense instead of the usual buffoonery. we are all taught beliefs, your computer was given a software, you use programs or applications. now ask your self, who gave you your software? then ask you yourself who is programming me? you may then say I am not a computer, tell your self that before you reboot or shut down tonight, I mean close your eyes to go to sleep.

5. CL2 says:

Rob I respect your opinion just as well as Chris’s. Thanks for not bashing his beliefs. I definitely won’t bash your opinion.

6. ELove says:

I HATE The Gay-Agenda MEDIA Though… Where does it say that Everyone SUPPOSE to Wholeheartedly support the GAY/HOMOSEXUAL LIFESTYLE and Anybody whose opinions differs in any way from GAYS are automatically HOMOPHOBIC IDIOTS Though (PURE Ridiculousness…) SMDH

7. Freezer says:

How about I jump on him for making things all about him? How about I jump on him for trying to deflect criticism by going all “well, I don’t like promiscuity, either!”. For answering the damn question in a statement after the fact? The question was “Your opinion on Jason Collins coming out,” not “Your opinion on homosexuality?”

#sticktobasketball

• Freezer says:

Okay, after getting some context and watching the whole thing, I’m gonna walk back some of my statements above. He was actually answering the question given. The problem is why would you even ask that question? Why would you ask the man “What do you think of homosexuality?” Broussard’s views are on the record, well-known and he stands by them. The only reason you’d ask is to stir up this exact kind of cheap shitstorm.

ESPN can eat all the dicks. #nohomo

8. Ladybball says:

So you can state your opinion about everything in society but “homosexuality”? I mean forbid it all if you respectfully disagree. He didn’t bash gays he just mentioned his faith and said he didn’t agree with it, how was he in the wrong? He handled it professionally and respectfully.

• Freezer says:

You can say what you want. The same laws that give him the right to say what he did gives me the same right to call him a dumbass for it.

9. Kegen says:

It’s hypocritical for 99.99% of any Christians to say being gay isn’t “godly”. The bible puts “laying with a man as you would with a woman” right next, like next line, to “don’t eat shellfish or wear clothes with two different fibers”. You have to call a guy out for being a hypocrite like that. If you can’t say someone’s beliefs are dumb or unjustified then you have to agree with the Taliban’s jihad–that’s religious. Because they have the misguided belief that they know what God wants, we can’t call them out for it? That’s dumb. As dumb as using Leviticus to tell someone they are immoral.

10. Jimj says:

Thank you Chris for telling the truth it is a sin according to the truth which is the Bible.Every impire in the Bible has failed because of homosexuality.God said it we as Christians just believe it.And if we don’t tell people the truth they will die and go to hell unless they believe in JESUS and are saved .This is done by faith and living a Christian life according to the Bible.Again thank you Chris for your faith.Remember this is not our home and as Christians we will be persecuted for our faith which is the truth.Jesus said I am the only way into Heaven there is no other.God loves homosexuals but hates the sin they are caught up in.Chris told the truth according the Bible Christians will not knowingly commit sin such as this.We pray for sinners to be saved which is a command from our Lord and savior JESUS CHRIST.Chris you and GOD are the majority.AMEN