Mark Cuban Says Mavs “Better Off” Without Dwight Howard
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban sure does flip-flop his stance on certain positions.
Cuban constantly gets in on the sweepstakes for the high-profile free agent of the summer, only to lose out on that player, and then claim he didn’t need him.
Cuban made reference to that point last summer, when he deemed the Mavericks inability to sign Deron Williams as a good thing.
Cuban is back at it again, after not being able to land Rockets center Dwight Howard. Cuban clearly made cap space, and made a serious effort to land Howard.
Howard chose the Rockets, and now Cuban is claiming the Mavs are better off without Howard according to ESPN.com.
“I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com during the Mavs’ summer league game Wednesday night. “I think it’d be better shorter and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more.”
“Obviously we didn’t get Dwight,” Cuban said. “We took a chance, and it didn’t happen. I think we put together a really good team. It sticks within the culture we’ve tried to define. We’ve dealt with some of the weaknesses we had from last year. Hopefully if we stay healthy, good things will happen.”
The Mavs missed out on Howard, but added Jose Calderon, Wayne Ellington, Monta Ellis, and Samuel Dalembert.