Editor of Grambling's Student Newspaper Fired For Tweets of Busted Facilities | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Editor of Grambling’s Student Paper Fired For Showing Pics of Dilapidated Facilities

by Robert Littal | Posted on Monday, October 21st, 2013

grambling-weight-room-3

Picture 6 of 6

The facilities are deplorable.  My high school which wasn’t a major powerhouse or anything had a better looking weight room, but when the student newspaper pointed that out, the school started firing people.

The online editor was fired and the opinions page editor is under a two-week suspension at Grambling State University’s student newspaper, The Gramblinite, following growing tensions there between students and administrators.

David Lankster Sr. said he’s been fired after tweeting statements from anonymous sources and photos of dilapidated facilities using the newspaper’s Twitter account, and he accused the school’s Director of Public Relations and Communications, former journalist Will Sutton, of attempting to censor student journalists.

“I was behind it. I was the only one on the ground hearing from the students and players,” said Lankster, the former sports editor who has worked at the paper since 2009. “Sutton was trying to mute our voice because we were tweeting the real news, the truth about what was going on.”

I can’t say I am surprised, this is the reason why the football players and others are so upset.  If the school spent more time fixing holes in the ceiling and less time trying to mute people’s voices, they wouldn’t have such a problem.

Grambling Weight Room 2

1. nba is fixed says:

David Lankster Sr. is a journalist. It’s his job to report the facts even if it exposes Grambling State University. The entire administration should be fired, starting with the President.

2. BX2DaDeath says:

There is no doubt in my mind that financial irregularities are occurring at Grambling.
    HBCUs have too many leftovers from the Civil Rights era and their mentality is “my way or the highway”.
    Malfeasance and corruption are huge in Louisiana politics, not surprised at the accusations being made about abuse of power.

3. Mr. Clean says:

I’ll bet Syracuse doesn’t have this problem.
    Where is all the NCAA money that this school receives going, anyway?
    Dump the entire administration.
    President, down to the coaching staff.
    17 hrs on a bus and the A.D. flies with the president?
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight…

4. Trey says:

I find this to be a consistent theme with HBCU’s. You administrators living the life and being compensated, while the school itself crumbles around them. It’s a combination of greed and fear of the truth getting out.

5. nba is fixed says:

I wonder if Southern’s facilities have these problems? Are their football players getting staph infections?

6. Todd Spengo says:

It’s not easy to be young and take a stand like this…good for the boys they did the right thing.

7. Librarianman says:

Editor was fired for doing his job. However, the admin may take the position that they’re the publishers, and have the final say about what’s in the paper. My college paper’s editor faced the same situation when he ran an ad for an abortion clinic in a Catholic school newspaper. I would have supported him, but didn’t like the underhanded way he used to get the ad in the paper. As a former journalist, I do support the editor in this case. The admin may be legally in the right, but ethically, that’s another story.

8. tom fitz says:

It’s time for the NCAA to step in and find out where the funding is going to. I would start in the administrations office, you know the people who are doing all the terminating…….

9. Otis R. Needleman says:

Both the athletes and the student newspaper staff are being treated deplorably. Folks, keep standing up for what is right and keep fighting. Never give up. The only way these problems will be fixed is if you “wheels” keep squeaking.

10. shotgun517 says:

These kids are right in striking, man this is horrible and shameful for a school as well known with so much history to behave in deplorable manor. Doug Williams went out trying to donations to upgrade the facilities and was fired for it! shut down the whole program for a year or two and allow these kids to transfer and be able to play right away. While they’re at it get rid off every one from the President, athletic director and anyone associated with the football program. Also NCAA step in! it leads me to believe that because it’s a HBCU you don’t give a FCUK!

11. Teddy says:

As a Grambling Alumnae, I am in total shock and frankly angry. It appears that the problems at GSU have not subsided. When I graduated in 1978, I had the “support GSU” mentality and contributed to the Alumnae Association. At the same time, I saw that the new President built a nice home on campus, which outraged many of us, especially since at the time it appeared that GSU’s financial stability was in jeopardy. PREZ would not have stood for that. Now I see that this new wave administration is trying to stifle the students’ voices and this is unacceptable. My letter has already been mailed to the university and the contents in it were not very pretty. Since the newspaper editor has been “fired”, this is no doubt pure retaliation at its best and I hope that any and all students involved will seek legal advice. Perhaps there is a legal remedy available to them. Who knows. The state of Louisiana has been trying to close GSU for years and really had this agenda prior to the time I attended. Thanks to the current administration, the State has renewed ammunition.

12. Bob Kennedy says:

Since the players have agreed to rejoin the program, they should insist that the student editor be given his position back. He supported them, they should do likewise and if the administration balks, the players should call off the agreement.

13. trob says: