Magic Johnson Left NBA Countdown Because of Bill Simmons | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Magic Johnson Left NBA Countdown Because of Bill Simmons

by Greg Smith | Posted on Thursday, October 10th, 2013

magic-leaving-countdown

With it was announced today that all of a sudden, Magic Johnson is leaving NBA Countdown, you knew there had to be more to the story. According to Deadspin the part that was left out is that Magic doesn’t like Bill Simmons having all the power and he is not happy about Simmons ultimately getting Wilbon off the show:

ESPN sources tell us that Johnson’s departure was the result of an old-fashioned power war, with one very clear winner: Bill Simmons. “It’s Simmons’s show now,” said one source.

“The bottom line is they turned that show over to Simmons,” said our source. “That’s why Doug Collins got hired and why Wilbon was out.”

Ultimately they are going to let the show prosper or fail on Bill Simmons. I just don’t think he is the right guy to bet on since he isn’t very good on TV either. The show really needs a complete reboot.

Tags

Chicago born. Nebraska Alum. College football is my jam. Follow me @GregSmithBSO for all your sports needs.

1. BX2DaDeath says:

I do not like Wilbon as a TV personality, but Simmons is worse.

2. TW says:

Magic was terrible on it. most of his points came down to “I’m magic johnson and I’m one of the best players ever so I’m right”. I hope Simmons can nerd the show out a bit and make it a little better to the die hard nba fan. Frankly, only die hards are watching this anyway, it’s not the like the NFL where everybody is watching and they have to dumb things down.

• TW is either a COON or a white person.... says:

Shut your coon ass up. Magic wasn’t very good, but not for the reason you mentioned. Typical caucasoid logic in your post.

3. TW says:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re saying it’s racist to think that Magic didn’t contribute other than relying on his name?

4. James says:

I hate simmons while everyone else is talking about basketball hes talking about storylines and things the players did in the summer and how they have supposed friction with other players/teams

5. Todd says:

Simmons is a clown with doesn’t know anthing about basketball. I don’t blame Magic for leaving. Magic has credibility because he played and Simmons watched. That’s why he rambles on, its because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. With that being said…im not surprised.

6. nba is fixed says:

What credentials does Bill Simmons have and who does he know at ESPN that warrants him so much power to get Mike Wilbon fired? Is this a obvious attempt by ESPN to make the show white?