Jameis Winston Told in February Sexual Assault Investigation Was Closed
You can get a very detailed version of what is going on with the Jameis Winston Sexual Assault investigation here. One thing seems pretty clear, the case was dead but was resurrected early this week when the media started snooping around.
The question begs why is a 11-month-old case, being re-investigated now? That is what Winston and his attorney would like to now.
“We’ve been cooperating with the law-enforcement agencies and we’re hoping to get a quick resolution in favor of Mr. Winston,” said attorney Tim Jansen.
The complaint was filed Dec. 7, 2012, according to Tallahassee Police Department reports. The complainant is cooperating with the State Attorney’s Office, said Officer David Northway, spokesman for TPD.
“The case is open and active and the victim is working with the State Attorney’s Office,” Northway said.
Jansen said he was told by Tallahassee police last February, about a week after they first contacted him, that the case had been closed. “I talked to the police officer,” Jansen told USA TODAY Sports. “He said the case had been closed. I don’t know of any reason for reopening it.”
He said he found out Monday that a media outlet had requested relevant police records last Friday.
Who alerted the media about the old case? TMZ seems to believe the leak is within the police department, but that would mean one of two things.
1- The police were covering something up.
2- Someone in the police department got paid to make sure this information about Jameis got out, even if it is bogus.
Now, that it is out in the public, I am fairly confident if there is anything to hide, it won’t be hidden for long.Powered by Sidelines