Video: Mike Wilbon Says He Uses Word Nigger, But Whites Can't | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Video: Michael Wilbon Saying He Uses The Word N*gger Sparks Discussion

by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, November 14th, 2013

Michael Wilbon

I appreciate Wilbon’s honesty and I hope there isn’t a fake apology in his future. While on PTI, he defended Matt Barnes’ tweet saying he wouldn’t protect these niggas (his teammates) anymore.

Wilbon’s went on to say he says the word all the time, but white people shouldn’t use it or frame the conversation on when it should be used. He went on to compare David Stern to a plantation owner if he was to do so (Barnes was fined).

While it was refreshing to hear a non-politically correct answer, I can’t express how strongly I disagree with him.

It isn’t so much a white and black thing, but more of a hypocrisy thing. I think the word nigger is a vile, painful and hurtful word to many black people, so morally I just don’t feel right using that word in my daily interactions.

I certainly would find it hypocritical to tell white, black, Asian or any race not to say something, that I used in my daily vocabulary regardless of the context.  The interesting thing to me is black people throughout history have been told what we can’t do, but other races can do, so I find it hypocritical to do the same thing to others.  More than any race, we should know better.  I want to be respected for who I am, I am not ashamed of being black, but I treat people how I want to be treated.  I am not a Nigger, Nigga or any variations of that.  My mother and grandmother raised me to just be the best person I could be and it would be disrespectful to them to use that type of language.  Wilbon said the word was forced upon us, which to me is another reason why I will never say it, because to me that is taking away the power.

There are always going to be racists and ignorant people in the world, but you don’t have to be one. I agree with Wilbon white people shouldn’t be the ones who police the word Nigger, BLACK PEOPLE should. That’s the problem, not David Stern, Riley Cooper or Richie Incognito, we as the black community are allowing this and until we decide to eliminate the word there will always be others who think it is ok to say.

So, while I will never condemn anyone for their personal opinion, I think this is one of the reasons we have such a divided county. There isn’t just a divide between black and white, but a inner divide in the black community.  I know the reasons why black people still use that word. They say it is taking the power away from it and maybe that was the case years ago, but is it really needed now? Is the 18 year old kid calling everyone his niggas really doing it to take power away or because that is just the environment he was raised in?

I address my friends as my friends.  I address people I respect by their name.  I don’t feel like I need to validated my blackness by saying “My Nigga!!”, I think it is silly.  To me most people do this as a habit, just like smoking and drinking, but those aren’t good for you either.

Go read a history book and maybe you will have a different perspective.

I don’t think Wilbon should have to apologize, nor do I think he said anything wrong, but I do believe until we lose that train of thought we will always be a divided country.

Powered by

1. MB says:

The indignation Wilbon feigns over the use of the word nigger is simply his veiled hatred towards whites. Is it the word that’s so offensive, or the color of the people using it? Make up your mind. The standard surrounding its usage switches from zero tolerance to “it’s ok if we use it” whenever it’s convenient to crucify someone. Again, make up your mind. Does it matter that in today’s culture that the meaning has evolved to something completely different over the past 50 years? The only reason that use of that word has become so prevalent, is because blacks made it such a significant part of mainstream society. That doesn’t make it right and that doesn’t justify the hypocrisy surrounding its use. If it’s such an abhorrent term, than stop using it.

2. nba is fixed says:

In all my years of living, I have never heard white people call themselves h**key, cr***er or white tr**h. I have never heard asians call themselves c***k or g**h.
    Travel to an Arican country; you probably will not hear the word n***er!

• wretchedoftheearth says:

You wont hear the word nigga in Africa because the have words like kaffir , akata and hole host of other slurs for African americans and/or Black people in general as substitues. Chill.

3. Huh says:

Uh this whole “blacks made the word prevalent” is hilarious. The word was just as common in the 40’s among white people as it is today amongst black people. The tone and context for which it was used were completely different. The way Riley Cooper and Incognito used the word had nothing to do with the way rappers/black people use it. In fact the way they used the word is the way it was used for years, as an insult.

4. Truth Speaker says:

Too make it worse this fool Wilbon like Barkley is married to a white woman..

5. GQTrojan says:

It really saddens me to hear supposedly intelligent black men like Wilbon freely admit to the world that he regularly uses the n-word because he believes it’s a special privelege that only black people should enjoy. Is he serious??? He and others who share this belief claim they have turned the word into a positive term of endearment amongs black folks. That may be true depending on one’s perception but I’m certain everyday in inner-citty American there are young black males also using the n-word right before they pull the trigger on their fellow n-words.

6. matt says:

What struck me first about this, was, I dont believe Wilbon when he says this. I have heard Wilbon speak in other forums and he strikesme as an intelligent and thoughtful man. I find it hard to believe he uses that word so often as he claims he does. I would quwstion his intelligence if its the truth. Its an ignorant and insulting term, not an endearing one. Never heard a gay man say he walks around saying faggot all day, i find it hard to believe Wilbon would dumb it down so much in casual conversation. He is a vicious name dropper, so I can only think he may have been pandering to the young black athletes he covers. The whole thing just seemed so disengenuous. But I dont know the man so I could be completely wrong. Either way, it alters the way I look at him now.

7. love says:

sadly….more race baiting!……call him a culture vulture. At least racist are honest!

8. surlycurmudgeon says:

Wilbon is a racist and a bigot. If a white member of the media said on the air “no black man can tell a white man how to talk. I will continue to use the word nigger all the time”, he would be fired immediately to distance the network from an obvious racist and bigot. Why does this jackass get a pass?

9. Bartsy says:

You are right, white people don’t call each other honkey, cracker, white trash, etc as a term of endearment. Why? Because they are not terms of endearment. Similarly, nigger or any derivation thereof was never intended to be a term of endearment. In fact, quite the opposite. Therefore people are basically degrading themselves by calling each other nigger (a, etc.) just likes whites would degrade themselves by calling each other honkey, etc.

10. Adam Barnhart says:

“Blacksportsonline” offends me, if there was a “whitesportsonline” there would be an up roar & the website would be pulled immediately!!!

• Adam Barnhart says:

Look at the last sentence of this article says a “country divided” well by putting black sports online you’re kind of dividing the country by yourselves right?