Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Responds To Lebron James' Mount Rushmore | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Kareem On Lebron: When He Avg 55 A Game, Then I Might Listen To Him

by Vashti Hurt | Posted on Thursday, March 27th, 2014

107687-kareem-abdul-jabbar

Lebron James was recently asked who would be on his NBA Mount Rushmore. The Miami Heat star named Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson, but he also said that when his career is over he plans to be on that list also.

When told about Lebron’s mount and future plans for his own place among the greats, Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar took exception.

“LeBron James was talking about how he’s the best ever. He never saw Wilt Chamberlain play. If he had, he wouldn’t say that. Whenever he averages 55 points a game, then I might want to listen to what he has to say. I’m not trying to put LeBron down. He’s awesome. He’s the best player in this era at this point. But he didn’t see Bill Russell play. When his team wins eight consecutive NBA championships, maybe I’ll compare him to Bill Russell. Until then, he has to prove a few things. I don’t want to put LeBron down. He’s awesome and great for the game and a class guy. But there’s a lot more to that.”

I’m not sure why Kareem seems so salty. Shouldn’t Lebron have aspirations of being mentioned among the greatest? That’s not a slap in the face, it’s a compliment. Maybe Abdul-Jabbar was mad because he wasn’t on the list.

Life-Long Sports Lover, Self-Proclaimed Trash-Talker, Part-Time Tom Boy, and Full-Time Woman.

1. Wash my car says:

I understand how Kareem feel. These young cats talk too much….just let your game speak for itself. When you self promote you sound like a fool.

2. nba is fixed says:

Kareem is the all time leading scorer who played against the best that ever played the sport! Lebron is the best in an era where the talent is not that great. In addition, the rules have changed so that the offense can score more points. I agree with Kareem!

• sims says:

Not that great? Please explain…? Just like every other sport, basketball has gotten faster, bigger, and stronger. To say the talent isn’t like it was is idiotic and irresponsible.

3. Jordan says:

what a pro lebron website you got going here lol
    Lebron called himself one of the greatest he said if he isn’t the fouth they have to carve him out a space so he put himself above kareem, wilt, bird, russell, and hakeem why are you guys leaving that out? Kareem is dead on and so is Bill Russell who also called Lebron out on his crap

4. iaw says:

Why are all these greats so insecure? Kareem and Russell sound like high school girls who did get invited to the party. Greatness doesn’t need to be validated by others.

5. joe says:

Kareem is right on.Lebrons era doesn’t compare to previous eras as far as elite talents.A young Wilt ran the floor faster than any player ever.Russell just controlled games and won titles.Kareem was unstoppable with the sky hook.There are no players today close to those super talents.Micheal Jordan would be my 4th,Magic Johnson(a Russell type with game control)Kobe,Bird not sure if Lebrons next probably Akeem baseline jumper unstaoppable like Jabbars hook.Top ten is no putdown on LeBron its just others were just better.

6. Misleading...huh! says:

I watched this interview and it baffles me how people misinterpret and flat out misquote what he said. in the interview Smitty asked him, “who’s your Mount Rushmore of the NBA, that’s four?” Lebron replied “just four right?” Smitty again clarified “four guys.” Lebron then asked “in NBA present or all time?” Smitty replied “all time.” Lebron then said “well obviously the easy three that we talk about in our league, you got Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, & you got Magic Johnson; I would say my fourth,” He stalled, then continued “man…this is so tough. The greatest players of all time that I’d like to see on Mount Rushmore…this is not fair.” Smitty then replied “it is fair.” Lebron then said “it’s not fair do you know how many great players it is?. Smitty replied “it is fair, you have to answer, it’s just four that’s why it’s called a Mount Rushmore.” Lebron then named his fourth “Oscar Robertson.” The interview continued and Smitty asked him, “when you’re all said and done are you up there?” He then said “yeah.” Smitty asked “why?” he said “Cause I will be one of the top fours that’s ever played this game, for sure. And if they don’t want me to have one of those four spots they better find another spot on that..” Smitty then reiterated “no, it’s just four” & that’s when Lebron affirmed “well we gotta bump somebody. somebody gotta get bumped.” Smitty then said “well you’re bumping.” and Lebron ended “that’s not for me to decide, that’s for the architects.” No where in there did I hear him say I’m the best ever. He named his Mount Rushmore and you can tell he struggled with the fourth but in the end he gave his and added that when he leaves this game and plans on being on there. What’s wrong with confidence and working to be the one of the best at what you do?. Isn’t that what we teach our kids, our pupils, our generation? to strive and be the best at what you do and be the best you can be. So all this backlash on this interview is mind-boggling and misguided. Everyone has their opinion of who the some of the greats are and those were his four. I admire and respect his conviction and confidence as a young American. I show this interview to my son a couple of times. He wants to become a biochemical engineer and I want him to be the best one he can be. We should all wish more young males, not just blacks, not just athletes, but young Americans in general were that convicted in their beliefs and their aspirations.

7. Carvin says:

The league has pampered and hype Lebron so much that he thinks he’s a King. Each generation of ball players are standing on the shoulders and reaping the rewards of those who came before them. It’s called respect and it not hating as today’s generation like to say. The league is watered down with unskilled kids most of which don’t understand the real game of basketball. That’s why so many come in the league and out the door a few years later. The blame goes to the NBA for trying to find the next great player to market rather than let nature take it’s course. This has hurt the NBA and the college game to where some player who choose to stay in school 2, 3 or 4 years gets passed over for some kid just out of high because he MIGHT be the next great Jordan, Kobe or Magic. What Russell and Kareem did during their playing day will never be matched.