The city of Toronto has been producing a plethora of talent in recent years. Ranging from Drake to The Weeknd to Tory Lanez.
Next up on the list is Jayd Ink.
This Toronto R&B singer brings her own unique sound to the table. The before mentioned Toronto artists all have that ‘OVO’ kind of sound.
However, Jayd Ink has more of a 90’s feel mixed in with some of the more familiar sounds of today.
Her latest EP, entitled “Invitation Only” is a six track project, which provides a collection of heartfelt lyrics and soothing touch.
Here’s her latest music video:
I was able to recently catch up with the Toronto sensation herself to grasp a better feel of who Jayd Ink really is:
1. How was it growing up in Toronto? And do you ever come to the states for collaboration purposes or anything musically?
Toronto is dope . It’s a mixture of all different cultures so you get to learn a little bit about everyone while growing up. I love travelling to the US to do music. I was in Atlanta and LA earlier in 2015.
2. Canada in general seems to be a hotbed for music lately. Obviously Drake, The Weeknd and Justin Bieber are the big names, but even now, you have guys like PARTYNEXTDOOR and Tory Lanez. Where do you see yourself fitting in amongst other Canadian artist?
There’s so many amazing talent in the city, I’m glad the world finally gets to see what we’ve known for a long time and I’m sure there’s more on the way. In regards to where I fit in with Canadian artist I feel I’m definitely apart of the conversation but I’m still on my journey of being on that Justin Bieber or a PND platform.
3. Your recent EP entitled, “Invitation Only” has a very soulful sound to it. What was your motivation when making this project?
The Invitation Only EP was just a quick preview to my style of music at that particular time. I was motivated by a lot of different things; Relationships, personal things I was dealing with, and traveling to Atlanta and LA for the first time.
4. Who are some artist in the game that you would like to work with and why?
Pharrel Williams, his style is authentic and he just seems like an amazing soul to be around.
Ed Sherman because he’s an amazing writer!
Missy Elliot, Kendrick, Drake…the list goes on. I just want to be around creativity no matter how popular or unpopular they are. If I like it, I’m down.
5. With 2015 done and out the way, what is something the fans should be looking forward to in 2016?
Just music. I’m in a different zone right now plus I have a lot of unreleased music that I created while making Invitation Only and I want to share that with my audience before I switch the wave up a bit.
To check out Jayd Ink’s music, make sure to follow her on Soundcloud:
Also, you can purchase her EP “Invitation Only” on Itunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/invitation-only-ep/id1032814739
For more information on Jayd Ink, check out her dope website: http://www.jayd-ink.com/
If you’re a music artist out there and you want some exposure like this, make sure to contact me on Twitter @MarkAGunnels or just simply email me your music at [email protected]
I’ll be doing this every Thursday.