After initially releasing information claiming Maino’s crew may have been allegedly beefing with Troy Ave’s squad during last month’s deadly Irving Plaza shooting, it appears the NYPD is backtracking and dropping Maino’s name from the investigation altogether.
“We do not believe that he (Maino) was involved in the dispute,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Thursday.
Ronald McPhatter, 30, was shot and killed in the May 25 melee in a backstage area at the club, police said. Three other people were shot and wounded.
Rapper Roland Collins, 33, whose stage name is Troy Ave., was arrested on attempted murder charges. He also [allegedly] accidentally shot himself in the leg.
The NYPD has a very difficult case on its hands. They’ll need to sift through all of the social media madness, and available video to see who really fired what weapons, and who exactly caused the death and injuries sustained at the plaza. The public has already been led to believe a few different stories (i.e. Troy Ave being the only shooter while questions remain about who shot Troy in the leg and his bodyguard).
With NYC’s gun laws as strict as they are (with good reason), mis-information can cost someone many years of their life here. In Troy Ave’s case, a gun conviction here would also presumably cost him millions in possible career money.
It’s important justice be served for this atrocious act, but its EQUALLY as important that the NYPD get it right, the first time around.