The Denver Broncos’ early-season roster changes are the result of a shaky defensive start in Denver. Randy Gregory, a pass rusher for Denver, has been released, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Wednesday.
The news was initially reported by Pro Football Talk. Sean Payton, head coach of the Denver Broncos, said the decision was taken with the team’s best interests in mind and that, if a trade partner does not materialize, it will become official in 24 to 48 hours. Gregory did not ask for his release, Payton said.
In March 2022, Gregory agreed to a five-year, $70 million deal with the Broncos. Due to an injury and a one-game ban for a post-game brawl, he only participated in six games with the Broncos last season. Gregory has earned one sack and nine tackles in four games so far in 2023. The 30-year-old only recorded three sacks and 21 tackles in ten games played in Denver.
Gregory’s performances lately have been average
In the past two weeks, Gregory’s snaps have decreased, and in the Broncos’ victory over Chicago in Week 4, he was taken off of the starting lineup.
Gregory, a second-round pick by the Cowboys in 2015, struggled with injuries in his first two NFL seasons before recording 15.5 sacks in his final three seasons with Dallas.
Before a contract issue forced him to pick Denver in 2022, he was almost re-signed with the Cowboys; the team even made the announcement.
NBC Sports Insider Tom Pelissero stated that the Broncos have been unsuccessful in their attempts to trade Gregory this week. They’ll probably release the veteran now, giving younger players more playing time.
With Gregory out of the picture, Nik Bonitto (3.5 sacks) and Jonathan Cooper (3.0 sacks) should see an increase in reps. The team anticipates Frank Clark’s quick return after missing the first week with a hip ailment.