John Amaechi Says Joe Paterno a Part Time Man of Principle | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Video: John Amaechi Says Joe Paterno Can’t Be a “Part Time Man of Principle”

by Patrick Sicher | Posted on Thursday, November 17th, 2011

Former NBA Player and Penn State Graduate John Amaechi appeared on Dan LeBatard is Highly Questionable to give his opinion about the Jerry Sandusky scandal that has rocked his alma mater.

In his introduction, LeBatard presents Amaechi as one of the smartest athletes he has ever interviewed and after watching it I can see why. Maybe it’s the accent or the deliberate and thoughtful pace at which he speaks, but he really provides an interesting perspective. People associated with the scandal have expressed their anger in different ways. In a sea of Lavar Arrington screaming, Matt Millen tearing up and idiot kids on campus rioting, it is refreshing to see a calm and reflective point of view.

It is evident from the start of the interview that the scandal has affected him deeply. He reveals that it hurts to be associated with the University he has loved. He also goes on to talk about how his involvement as a very public face of Sandusky’s Second Mile charity make him feel “unwittingly complicit” in what was going on behind the scenes. Even though it was highly unlikely any of the athletes had any idea what was going on, you cant help but think that what you were doing may have brought vulnerable kids to the den of a predator.

Aside from the fact that his opinions are fresh and delivered eloquently and the passion and anger he feels are evident, I think it was risky for him to comment on this scandal.

Amaechi himself made headlines in 2007 as the first retired NBA player to reveal that he was gay. Unfortunately, a lot of uneducated and misinformed people group together pedophiles and homosexuals when they don’t really have much to do with one another. Jerry Sandusky is (allegedly) a pedophile who likes young boys which is completely different from being attracted to an adult of the same sex, which is what Amaechi is.

If you have any doubts as to whether or not people are uninformed about what it means to be gay or how to deal with gay peopel, you just have to revisit Tim Hardaway’s comments he made (coincidentally on Dan LeBatard’s Miami radio show following Amaechi’s revelation) when asked about how he would react if he had a gay teammate.

First of all, I wouldn’t want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don’t think that’s right. And you know I don’t think he should be in the locker room while we’re in the locker room. I wouldn’t even be a part of that,”

On a different note, my favorite aspect of the interview is his opinion on Joe Paterno. While a lot of people have tried to distance themselves from the legend and even focused their attention on JoePa instead of on Sandusky, Amaechi delivers what I think is the most accurate assessment of Paterno’s involvement. After he talks about being aware of all the good Joe Paterno has done in his extensive career, he delivers the following.

You cant be a part time man of principle. You cant be principled 99% of the time, and then the one time when it really counts, you’re not.”

Damn.

You can follow John Amaechi on twitter at @JohnAmaechi and Dan LeBatard is Highly Questionable @DLHQ

Senior Writer and Staff Editor for BlackSportsOnline. Enjoy the stories sports tell and enjoy telling the story of sports. Follow me on twitter @psicher or Email Me

1. michael w says:

while his career was not all that spectacular on the court,hes a very bright man, and brave.

2. lex says:

enough said

3. Thanks for your opst. It’s more useful that I was thinking.

4. This blog has inspired me to carry on focusing on my own blog

5. Bobette Bavzee says:

hrink the offending tissues. Look for one that has the application device included. If you don’t have this on hand, the http://www.kurier.hu/node/1863 ,n look for an oral numbing agent (even a children’s teething solution would be fi

6. websitez says:

Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

7. The very core of your writing whilst sounding reasonable at first, did not work perfectly with me after some time. Somewhere within the sentences you were able to make me a believer unfortunately only for a very short while. I still have got a problem with your jumps in logic and you would do well to fill in those gaps. If you can accomplish that, I would surely end up being fascinated.

8. I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again– vacation travel puppies

9. Rocco Jondle says:

Thanks for making me to obtain new strategies about pcs. I also have belief that one of the best ways to help keep your mobile computer in best condition is with a hard plastic-type material case, or shell, that will fit over the top of the computer. These types of protective gear usually are model precise since they are made to fit perfectly within the natural covering. You can buy all of them directly from owner, or via third party places if they are readily available for your notebook, however don’t assume all laptop could have a covering on the market. Again, thanks for your suggestions.– vacation travel puppies

10. For that reason times repeatedly pretty significantly everything, this life undoubtedly is ended up saving a little bit far more. The program in fact saves currently the And also carbon in fact motivated in to planet during these development activities. dc free mommy weblog giveaways family trip home gardening home power wash baby laundry detergent

11. This is the sort of details I’ve long been in search of. Thanks for posting this information.

12. if you need your web site to rank higher is search engines you better watch the start day involving Seo Link Monster

13. I do agree with all of the suggestions you have presented within your post. They are truly convincing and will undoubtedly function. Nonetheless, the posts are extremely short for newbies. Could you please extend them somewhat from next time? Thanks for the post.

14. Sorry, I not speak good english.I was just seeking this info for some time. After 6 hours of continuous Googling, finally I got it in your site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this type of informative web sites in top of the list. Usually the top sites are full of garbage.

15. Some really nice and utilitarian info on this site, too I think the style contains fantastic features.

16. Tyrone Skura says:

Whoah this weblog is magnificent i truly like reading your articles. Maintain up the great paintings! You realize, a lot of persons are searching round for this info, you could aid them greatly.

17. I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.

18. Please forgive my English.You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really something which I think I’d by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely huge for me. I am taking a look ahead to your next put up, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

19. I visited a lot of website but I think this one has got something special in it. “Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good.” by H.L. Mencken.