ESPN Hannah Storm Suffers 1st Degree Burns in Propane Grill Accident
It could have been worse, but Storm suffered second-degree burns on her chest and hands and first-degree burns to her face and neck. She lost her eyebrows, eyelashes and half her hair according to USA Today.
Here is how she described the accident.
The award-winning sportscaster and producer was preparing dinner outside her home in Connecticut on the night of Dec. 11 when she noticed the flame on the grill had gone out. She turned off the gas, she said, and when she reignited it “there was an explosion, and a wall of fire came at me.”
“It was like you see in a movie, it happened in a split-second,” she said. “A neighbor said he thought a tree had fallen through the roof, it was that loud. It blew the doors off the grill.”
With her left hand, she tore off her burning shirt. She tried to use another part of her shirt to extinguish the flames that engulfed her head and chest, while yelling for help. Her 15-year-old daughter, Hannah, called 911, and a computer technician who was working in the house grabbed ice as Storm tried to cool the burns.
We wish her well on her recovery. She worked the Rose Bowl parade today.Powered by Sidelines