We all thought Deshaun Watson’s criminal issues were over after it was announced that he wouldn’t face any criminal charges for sexual misconduct.
Then earlier today it was announced that a separate case in a separate county that a grand jury was discussing whether to bring charges or not.
It was then later announced that the grand jury decided to not press charges in this case just like the other.
In a statement the Brazoria County District Attorney says
“After a careful and thorough review of the facts and evidence documented in the reports prepared by the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office and the Houston Police Department, as well as hearing testimony from witnesses, the Grand Jury for Brazoria County has declined to charge Deshaun Watson with any crimes,” Brazoria County District Attorney Tom Selleck said in the statement. “Accordingly, this matter is closed.”
Now, as far as everyone knows, Watson will just have to deal with the civil cases and a possible suspension.
Earlier Thursday, the Browns declined comment, but a team spokesperson told ESPN that the team was aware of the potential of a second grand jury and was made aware that it was hearing evidence.
The Browns acquired Watson from the Houston Texans last week for three first-round picks and three other draft picks. The Browns also gave Watson a new five-year contract worth $230 million guaranteed, the most guaranteed money on a single contract in NFL history by $80 million.
In statements announcing the trade Sunday, the Browns called their research and investigation into Watson, including into the allegations of sexual assault and sexual misconduct against him, “extensive.”
The Browns have yet to provide specifics of their investigation. They also didn’t speak to any of the 22 women who have filed lawsuits against Watson and accused him of sexual assault and sexual misconduct, according to their attorney, Tony Buzbee said.
Flip the page to see more.