Michael Jordan Flu Game Result of Jazz Fan Poisoning Pizza | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Did Jazz fans poison Jordan’s pizza before ‘flu game’?

by Robert Littal | Posted on Wednesday, April 17th, 2013

Michael Jordan Flu

You all know the story by now, but to refresh your memory, the Chicago Bulls were in a dogfight in the 1997 NBA Finals with the Utah Jazz.

The series was tied 2-2 and the Jazz had all the momentum after winning Games 3 and 4. Jordan gets sick the day before Game 5 — to the point he can’t walk. Bulls trainers say there is no way he can play the next day. Jordan wills himself out of bed, looks visibly ill, but starts for the Bulls in Game 5.

He hits a big 3-point shot late in the game to help seal the victory. He plays 44 minutes and has a stat line of 38 points, seven rebounds, five assists, three steals and one block.

It is considered one of the greatest clutch performances of all time. The Bulls would end up winning the championship in Game 6. It was always assumed Jordan just caught a random stomach virus, but according to his trainer Tim Grover, he was poisoned by someone in Utah. Here is his story.

We were in Park City, Utah, up in a hotel. Room service stopped at like nine o’clock. He got hungry and we really couldn’t find any other place to eat. So we said eh, the only thing I can find is a pizza place. So we says all right, order pizza.

We had been there for a while. Everybody knew what hotel. Park City was not many hotels back then. So everyone kind of knew where we were staying.

So we order pizza.

Five guys came to deliver this pizza.

I take the pizza and I tell them: “I’ve got a bad feeling about this. … I’ve just got a bad feeling about this.”

Out of everybody in the room, [MJ] was the only one who ate. Nobody else had it.

And then 2 o’clock in the morning I get a call to my room. Come to the room. He’s curled up in the fetal position. We’re looking at him, finding the team physician at that time.

Immediately I told him it’s food poisoning.

Not the flu.

I wouldn’t put it past Jazz fans, who have been known to be a bit on the crazy side. What do you believe?

1. Mike D. says:

Hell yeah I believe they would do that to him.Hell,Im afraid to eat at Hardees and McDonalds sometimes.U mean to tell me a big time hotel doesn’t have a restaurant or food court!Rob,I got to join BSO!!!Love My Folks and Sports…

2. Sports Inboundz.com says:

It doesn’t matter how Michael Jordan caught his ailment, the fact of the matter is that he put on an outstanding performance while not being anywhere near 100 percent.

3. darcy says:

yeah man, thats really interesting. Didn’t know/never heard of it. Thanks for the great article.

4. Tony Marshall says:

Correct me if I’m wrong…but didn’t we hear a very similar thing about Kobe while the Lakers were playing Sacramento during the Kings heyday.

5. Paul says:

The Kings had a hey-day?

6. pam says:

that is the dumbest thing I have heard of.

• Tom says:

Yes-If you remember the 2002 series where
      Tim Donaghy cheated Chris Webber, Vlade Divac,
      Jason Williams ansd the rest of their team mates
      out of a shot at the Championship round.

7. paul williams says:

Yea this sounds like a trumped u story about utah white folks doing the black man wrong again

8. Mike says:

Well, that is an interesting twist. One of the rumors I heard was that his symptoms were caused by not what he ate, but by what and how much he drank the night before the game.

9. dave says:

I only believe what the media feeds me. Cheers

10. Trestin says:

Horse crap. If they really thought someone had intentionally poisoned their multimillion dollar man, the police would have been involved, at the very least he would have undergone all kinds of tests, which would have shown he was poisoned. This smells like a person just trying to get some media attention.

11. Big Kielbasa says:

Just goes to show you that Jordan could play better sick then today’s players on a good day.

12. Randu says:

Fo Sho!!
    And.. they did it to Kobe in Sac also

13. Laramie Jane says:

Though I live in Utah, I am NOT a Jazz fan, nor a fan of Jazz fans. They do seem to be a bit crazy, however I don’t believe this story at all.
    I am quite sure that the hotel where MJ stayed at would have gone out of their way to make any meal he wanted. AND the team would have made special precautions to protect their players.
    Littal, try another angle.

14. Greg Capra says:

I always contended that that’s what happened. People in Utah always hide behind their “HOLY THAN THOU” religious belief’s.

15. Chase says:

“I wouldn’t put it past Jazz fans, who have been known to be a bit on the crazy side. What do you believe?”

Been known to be a bit on the crazy side? What’s your basis for that? Been a fan my whole life and I’ve never known a fan to be malicious in any way. Yeah, we antagonize the opponent when they come into our house and we cheer hard as hell for our team. But poisoning the GOAT? Please. And why wait 16 years to bust this story out? Cause there’s no way to confirm or deny maybe? Dude came in and did his thing. The man was truly the greatest the sport has ever seen and this was a performance for the ages, but food poisoning happens to plenty of people without anyone crying foul.

16. Jdawg says:

He didn’t have the flu and wasn’t sick, he was HUNGOVER!

17. Billy says:

he ate to the point he couldn’t walk? I don’t think so he drank his way into the fetal position and could not walk because he was drunk

• Billy Briggs says:

I know the girls that cleaned up that hotel room and all the alcohol bottles. Robert Littal is full of crap just add the letters “hit” to bulls what does that spell

18. Karl M. says:

look at that pic of MJ and Pippen it looks to me they are tired maybe hung over?