Michael Irvin Cover of Out Magazine Speaking on Gay Rights & Athletes | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Michael Irvin: I Would Support a Gay Athlete 100%

by Robert Littal | Posted on Tuesday, July 12th, 2011

Michael Irvin is a hard person not to like.  If you have spent any time around him you understand while he has had his issues in the past people are willing to run through walls for him.

Irvin just revealed for the first time to Out Magazine that he had a gay sibling and he explains how that he affected his life.  He also gives strong takes on gay rights and how he would treat an athlete if they were to come out of the closet.

Irvin publicly acknowledges that his impetus for taking a stand comes from his relationship with his gay brother Vaughn, who died of stomach cancer in 2006. Irvin had not spoken publicly about his brother previously, according to the magazine.

In the article, Irvin describes how his brother’s sexual orientation contributed to his own issues.

“And through it all we realized maybe some of the issues I’ve had with so many women, just bringing women around so everybody can see, maybe that’s the residual of the fear I had that if my brother is wearing ladies’ clothes, am I going to be doing that? Is it genetic?” Irvin said to Out. “I’m certainly not making excuses for my bad decisions. But I had to dive inside of me to find out why am I making these decisions, and that came up.”

“I don’t see how any African-American, with any inkling of history, can say that you don’t have the right to live your life how you want to live your life,” he said, according to the magazine. “No one should be telling you who you should love, no one should be telling you who you should be spending the rest of your life with. When we start talking about equality, and everybody being treated equally, I don’t want to know an African-American who will say everybody doesn’t deserve equality.”

“If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him. … When a guy steps up and says, ‘This is who I am,’ I guarantee you I’ll give him 100 percent support,” Irvin said.

The part about African-Americans I have been saying for years.  You can’t equate the struggles of African-Americans to the struggle of gays, but there are some distinct similarities.

Even to this day racist people use the Bible to try to rationalize how black people shouldn’t be treated equal.  One of the main reasons blacks didn’t have rights for many years was because of the Bible.  People know like to use the Bible as a way to limit the privileges gay people have.

The Bible is a book with a lot of open interpretations that was written centuries ago, it can be used in many forms including negative and divisive ones.

Black people always have to look over the shoulder at all times, you never feel 100% comfortable because of all the stereotyping and prejudice that is going on.

Gay people have a lot of those same issues, so it would be hypocritical of me to ever say that a Gay person shouldn’t have the right to do whatever the want.

You don’t have to agree with something to respect it.

I don’t agree with Casey Anthony getting off for murdering her kid, but I respect the justice system even in its flawed state.

Irvin makes great points and if more African-Americans especially the younger ones actually studied our history they wouldn’t be so quick to judge.

1. LB says:

Out is a popular gay men’s fashion, entertainment, and lifestyle magazine so why is Irvin posing like that on the cover??? It one thing to support people’s sexual prefences but why tease them if he’s not gay. I hope he realizes that a whole lot of gay men will be hoping he joined their team….

2. ELove says:

Well Troy was a RACIST while playing with The Cowboys and Irving supported HIM Wholeheartedly Sooo He probably would support a Openly GAY Athlete but let’s NOT BE NAIVE about this… There are PLENTY of GAY MALES playing professional Sports (Their DL Dudes…)

BTW Too Many people have told me that Troy Aikman is GAY (Real…)

3. Paul Armstrong says:

Here is my 2 cents on Michael Ervin- I am a Christian and follow what the bible states- Homosexuality is wrong, Cheating on your spouse is wrong , stealing is wrong etc… Everyone makes mistakes and Foregiveness is the Christian way. However, you forgive the person and dislike the SIN. I have rights to disagree with the Gay lifestyle but it does not mean I do not like gay people. THE Gay commuinty celebrates Gay Pride – I have never seen a parade to celebrate Adultery. I do not see the people who commit adultery expecting more rights ….Many people committ adultery which is a SIN as the same as the gay lifestyle- They both have the SEX issue as the SIN part – no difference . However, both can be forgiven and the people can also be forgiven – this is not beat everybody up – it is to point out what SIN is and we all committ it – the question is do we keep committing it or do we work on correcting it- If you are a true Chritian your job is to be more like Jesus everyday- it is a goal that you will never reach but you can work on it ! Being Homosexual, beign an alcholic, being a drug attic, being an adulter, being a theif, beign human – are all sins but we need to forgive and help each other – Since we all fall under the SIn category- it is about turing away from the SIN – not embracing it !

4. TJ says:

The Bible also states that woman’s menstrual cycle is a sin because it is unclean, so should women disagree with it although they have no control of it? Making money off of interest is called a sin in the Bible, bc its considered stealing. Is it possible to live in this country (or any other country for that matter) w/o making money off of interest? How do I not embrace that lifestyle? What about all the premarital sex everyone has? Yes, the Bible says being gay is a sin, but a gay couple being together or getting married has nothing to do with YOU, therefore, people should leave them alone about it. You can turn away from the sin without constantly telling them how wrong it is. According to the Bible everything we do is a sin, from what we wear to what we eat. IMO a gay person’s lifestyle is none of my business, and if embracing them and letting them have whatever right a straight person has is a sin, then so be it. Its just added to the list of sins we commit every day of our lives. “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

• GQTrojan says:

Well said. There are also things in the bible that state that a woman should not be on the same level as a man in any capacity.

Bottom line, many people pick and choose the ‘sins’ in the bible that suit them and simply ignore others. They’re not very consistent at all.

5. Lown says:

Live and let live

6. Nayara Live webcams says:

Nice article. I ve seen a gay like him, live on http://www.xboycam.com Thank you for the share. Check it out, please