ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith has held discussions with CBS about potentially hosting a revived version of the late Andy Rooney’s closing segment on “60 Minutes,” according to multiple reports Thursday.
The talks come as new CBS News leadership seeks to relaunch the short, observational commentary that closed the newsmagazine for more than three decades until Rooney’s retirement in 2011.
Lachlan Cartwright of Breaker Media reported that Smith has spoken with CBS about a new take on Rooney’s “A Few Minutes” feature, which would air at the end of episodes. Jerry Seinfeld was also approached but declined. British actor and comedian John Cleese has been in conversations as well.
A separate report from Charlotte Klein in New York Magazine said former tennis star and ESPN analyst John McEnroe has also been contacted about the role.
The segment would likely use a rotating group of hosts rather than a single weekly voice, meaning Smith or McEnroe would not appear every Sunday.
The discussions follow a major shake-up at “60 Minutes.” Editor-in-chief Bari Weiss and executive producer Nick Bilton have overhauled the program after a turbulent summer. Correspondents Anderson Cooper, Scott Pelley, Sharyn Alfonsi and Cecilia Vega have all departed. Cooper chose not to renew his contract. Executive producers Tanya Simon and Draggan Mihailovich were also let go.
NYU professor Scott Galloway previously said Weiss approached him in June about a contributor role that later evolved into talks about reviving the Rooney-style closer.
Rooney’s segments were never intended as hard news. They offered light, often satirical or curmudgeonly observations that served as a palate cleanser after hour-long investigations or interviews. He delivered them from 1978 until shortly before his death in 2011.
Whether Smith’s high-energy, opinion-driven style from “First Take” would translate to that format remains an open question. McEnroe, known for his own fiery on-court and on-air persona, could bring a different kind of edge.
The reports mark another potential expansion for Smith beyond sports television. The longtime ESPN personality has built a brand that already includes books, acting and frequent crossover appearances. A regular or rotating presence on “60 Minutes” would place one of sports media’s most recognizable voices in one of television’s most prestigious news programs.
CBS has not publicly confirmed the discussions. The new season of “60 Minutes” is expected to reflect the broader changes already underway at the program.