A Florida mother, Meliza Campos-Sanchez, is facing serious charges after authorities say she set a fire inside her Miami home while her two young daughters were inside. Police also allege that she poured hot melted candle wax onto the children.
Meliza, 26, was arrested Monday, Aug. 17. According to arrest affidavits, she is charged with first-degree arson, child abuse and two counts of child neglect.
The allegations are deeply disturbing.
Florida woman films herself starting a fire in her kitchen and pouring hot wax on her children.
Meliza Campos-Sanchez was arrested and charged with child abuse, child neglect, and arson.
Her husband says they were going through marital issues and he had contacted the sheriff's… pic.twitter.com/7FtnArNWMc
— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) August 19, 2026
Authorities say the incident happened inside the family home in Miami. The two children were present while the situation unfolded.
🇺🇸🔞 FLORIDA: Una mujer de 26 años fue arrestada después de que se grabara provocando un incendio en la cocina de su casa y vertiendo cera caliente sobre sus hijas de 6 y 3 años.
Meliza Campos-Sanchez enfrenta cargos de incendio provocado en primer grado, abuso infantil y dos… pic.twitter.com/zv5HRpKHk9
— Monitor Noticias 🗞️ (@MonitorNewsve) August 20, 2026
The investigation began after Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the home on Aug. 16 following a report of a kitchen fire. A fire investigator determined the blaze had been intentionally set using an open flame, ignitable liquids and combustible materials, according to the arson affidavit.
Authorities later learned that Campos-Sanchez had posted two videos to her Instagram account. In one video, she can be seen using lit candles to pour melted wax onto her own leg and then onto the hands of her two daughters. In the other, Campos-Sanchez can be seen wearing a silver mask while spraying a liquid onto clothing on the kitchen floor before igniting it with a red lighter, according to the affidavit.
The fire investigator who responded to the home found burnt materials and minor fire damage to the center of the tiled kitchen floor, according to the affidavit. Investigators also photographed a silver mask, a red lighter and a clear plastic bottle with a yellow cap that contained a clear liquid believed to be rubbing alcohol, the document alleges.
Candles are supposed to create cozy lighting. They are not supposed to become part of a nightmare.
Campos-Sanchez’s husband, Yusniel Cue, allegedly told investigators that he and his wife had been experiencing marital issues and that he had been staying with his parents for about a week while Campos-Sanchez remained at the home with their daughters, according to the affidavit.
Cue said he learned about the videos after receiving a call from one of Campos-Sanchez’s friends, who told him to contact police. When he arrived at the home, Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office deputies and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue were already there, and he took custody of his daughters while Campos-Sanchez was transported to a hospital, according to the affidavit.
Campos-Sanchez remains accused of serious crimes, and the legal process will determine what happened.
Hopefully, the two children receive the care and support they need after what authorities describe as a terrifying experience.