Ed Reed’s Brother, Brian Reed Missing After Jumping into River to Avoid Police | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

Ed Reed’s Brother, Brian Reed Missing After Jumping into River to Avoid Police

by Robert Littal | Posted on Friday, January 7th, 2011

When I first saw the headline I thought I was reading it incorrectly.

This is something that only happens in the movies, not real life, but it appears Ed Reed’s brother Brian to avoid capture from the authorities jumped into the Mississippi River and now no one can find him.

Police said that Reed took off running when officers were handcuffing him near the frigid Mississippi River. He was pursued for a short time before bounding into the river and swimming out approximately 15 feet, according to police. Police saw him go under water and resurface, but they have yet to see him again. Police and family members have been waiting to see if he returns to the banks. The water was estimated to be around 40 degrees.

Brian Reed was stopped for allegedly running another driver off the road, and it was later determined that he was driving a stolen car. Reed’s mother, however, disputed that claim.

The details are a little sketchy why Brian Reed went to these extremes to evade authorities.  It seems to be over the top just for riding in a stolen vehicle.  According to Reed’s mother he was driving the “family” car, but that is hard to believe someone driving their own car would take such actions.

I hope that Brian Reed surfaces alive at some point, because driving a stolen car is not worth losing your life over.

1. vince says:

Does it shock you that another black athlete or family member is in trouble? 99% of them are broke coming into the league and broke within 5 years of leaving. All they do is get in trouble. I know black folk hate hearing it but when was the last white guy to do something wrong? Not even in hockey where the whole sport is white. Golf? The only one in trouble is tiger, but tiger wants to be white so that doesn't count. The black athlete is all about celebrating every play whether its a saftey acting like he did something on an over-thrown pass or a running back gaining 3 yards. Black athletes can not just hand the ball to the ref. Its annoying and leading to folks watching less and less. How come white athletes do not celebrate? Why do they act like they have been there before but black athletes like to soak up any average play? Its like they are a puff daddy from a 90's video. Tryin to get all up on the tv screen just for doing their job. The fake dreads, the towels, wristbands and eye black. Boring. The awful tattoo's. Why tatt up your body when you can't see black ink on it? Just god damn dumb. I can go on all day. Its like these idiot kids acting like rap is actually music. Its not. Its entertainment and funny. It is not music. Not even close.

2. vince says:

Also folks. Let's not begin the crying and bitching of the played out racist card. This site an others would love for someone of the white race to “keep it real” as you folk say it. Hip hop america is getting old. Every rap song talks about the same shit, mostly all black folk dress the same. Its just a fact guys. its not racist. I am not name calling I don't dislike black people. I am just a little tired of the race card, the over celebrating black athlete and hip hop america. Its boring and draining. Be original. Do your job and expect results. Don't celebrate a coverage sack with a moonwalk and gross pelvic thrust. I would rather watch my parents fuck then to see you celebrate a kick-off tacle on the 22 yard line. Good day to you all. I won't post anymore. Just wanted you guys to hear me out. Good day. Go falcons.

• Jody says:

Wow Vince, you gotta be blind to not hear about thethe things done by Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisbeger, and many other angelic white athletes who as you put it never do anything wrong. That shows you how things look when you have a jaded view, because ther have been many athletes of all colors in trouble, but the troubles of black atheltes are highlighted more because of the skin color, and even though you don't want to hear, that is what it is. The reason you don't want to hear it is because you can't deal with the truth. Now how you went from Ed Reed's brother to your hate for rap music is interesting. I am black and have no love for rap music myself, but what I find interesting is that the reason rap grew so big and generates so much money is that white kids all over America started buying it years ago, and still to this day are the great supporters of the industry. Simply put ther are not enough black teens to account for the monstrous cd sales that make these rappers millionaires. Those sales and money come from white teens who thru the music take a peek into a world that they know exists but don't want to be physically a part of.

3. Eric Jones says:

2 Mr.smartass I heard da things u said u sound so stupid white ppl deep down n side wish dey was black we do everything better thats why we show off, shit we started swagger now old spice want2sell swagger… If it wasnt4 us I dnt no Wht sports would be and thts a fact every sport but hockey a black is da key player

4. Steve says:

I'm a cop, and I can't get my mind around jumping in the Mississippi River (in January, yet) over a stolen car–assuming the car was stolen. Senseless loss of life. It's not uncommon to see guys in some legal trouble stop thinking and do some crazy things, but usually not something that dangerous.

I hope his family can find some comfort in this tragedy, and I hope that others might learn from this incident.

5. J Kurchner says:

Really like appreciate the help!